cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tridef or VorpX

StCecil
Honored Guest
Well, I have the trial Tridef, and I like it Okay, it is easy to use and has a decent list of games it supports.

I would love to hear the pros and cons debated in one thread about which is better, Tridef or VorpX and why...

Pretty much everything is a factor for me, ease of use, support and price.

any input would be apprieciated as I assume i will need one of the two

(if there is a VorpX free trail i suppose i will check that out after my tri def is up in about 7-8 days)

Ordered : November 2nd 2013 (November 3rd on my time) Receieved Processing mail : November 25th 2013 (November 26th on my time) Arrived : December 3rd 2013 Status : Enjoying it. Location : 東京 (Tokyo)
49 REPLIES 49

Liquidpinky
Honored Guest
I haven't tried Tridef yet, but I find VorpX to be handy with the edge peek function for the likes of Skyrim and it's menus.
I also find that VorpX has a better startup option for the likes of myself with a triple monitor surround system and the Oculus on its own, I can force a game to start in the Oculus straight away withought having to drag a waindow in and line it up.

I personaly think that if the guys at VorpX, Vereio and Tridef got together, then we would be talking about a serious kick ass app for the oculus.

StCecil
Honored Guest
"Liquidpinky" wrote:
I haven't tried Tridef yet, but I find VorpX to be handy with the edge peek function for the likes of Skyrim and it's menus.
I also find that VorpX has a better startup option for the likes of myself with a triple monitor surround system and the Oculus on its own, I can force a game to start in the Oculus straight away withought having to drag a waindow in and line it up.

I personaly think that if the guys at VorpX, Vereio and Tridef got together, then we would be talking about a serious kick ass app for the oculus.

thanks.

ya, I suppose most ppl went with one and haven't tried both.

looking forward to seeing if this thread gets going just a bit before the end of the week. I'm gonna need one of them and everyone's opinion counts.
Ordered : November 2nd 2013 (November 3rd on my time) Receieved Processing mail : November 25th 2013 (November 26th on my time) Arrived : December 3rd 2013 Status : Enjoying it. Location : 東京 (Tokyo)

ollywatt
Honored Guest
I've tried both Tridef & VorpeX, and much prefer VorpeX.

Some people have been having issues with it, but it's worked for every game I've tried with on (many of them not on the official 'supported' list).

I liked Tridef, but probably won't go back to it.
/Olly

CylonSurfer
Expert Protege
Tridef in my opinion gives a much better Stereo 3D effect (not Z-Buffer mode). Tridef does however appear to be more resource intensive and as such you may loose a few FPS. FPS you will likely need!!

VORPX seems to be a little faster and has the edge peek mode - which is very nice! The Geo 3D is not as good as Tridef's, this is particularly apparent in Skyrim as your characters arms / weapons will look massive and out of scale. Personally I have had issues with the warping method used in VORPX as it seem to squash / stretch the image as you move you head - this can cause a sensation of sickness.... not so nice. I have also experienced more crash to desktop situations with VORPX.

ralfal
Honored Guest
...as it seem to squash / stretch the image as you move you head...

What you are referring to here is almost certainly an effect that is (on purpose) introduced by the 'Smart' aspect ratio mode to fill the full vertical FOV. If that bothers you, you can easily switch to another AR-Mode on the display page of the in-game menu.

Not sure about the differences you mention in regard to Geometry 3D. I don't think vorpX does anything fundametally different here, but I'll check that.

Hope that helps.

morenosuba
Explorer
my first experience was with Vireio, after that i did the Tirdef trial, but so far i've only purchased Vropx.

My main reason for purchasing Vorpx was because it supports Dx11 games like Battlefield 4. i just really wanted to play BF4 on my Rift. As it turns out out the limitations of the dev kit's resolution are not good for BF4, as most of the shooting is done at medium to long range, and all i see at those distances are a bunch of pixels :(. i currently have no complains with Vropx.
i was surprised that Vorpx works with games that aren't' on their list.

Tridef was nice and all but it did feel a bit more "restricted". the ingame options were not as well laid out as Vorpx. in some games (like EvE), that are on Tridef's list, i found that Vorpx worked better at rendering far away objects.
the edge peek function is also very nice in Vorpx.
Tridef's game list is very impressive.
i like Vorpx configuration panel, that i haven't been able to find in Tridef.

if i find a game i want to play that doesn't work with Vorpx, i'll probably by Tridef too :D.

aparsons671
Honored Guest
I have been using VorpX since start due to the fact that I will be using it on Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 as my primary games, and both being DirectX 10/11 games, TriDef Ignition (Rift Support) WILL not work with either of those games due to its current limitations. That being said, ANY game that runs in DX10/11 will not work nor will any graphics improvements by using the later engine be active in TriDef as you will have to revert to DX9 mode for the Rift support to work.

I like the options in VorpX being up front and on display, like turning head-tracking on and off as well as other simple things that I don't want to have to load the game up just to set the options. I also like being able to select the user IPD settings calibrated via the Rift Calibration or being able to input my own values. No in-game tweaking necessary, but available if you should need it.

TriDef is entirely in-game setup and is a one-setup fits all thing. Switch the display to another user and you'll have to tweak about 4 different settings in various menus in order to get the settings right.

Price is negligible between them unless there is a discount for TriDef. I heard that AMD Radeon users get some sort of discount on it, not sure as I am a nVidia user.

Both work on games and the visual setup is similar between both VorpX and TriDef. I see no difference on my end with them. I get no noticable lag from the head tracking on either. Overall, they're pretty square here.

Support has not been needed for either product yet. VorpX requires you to send an email with an activation code and the email and name used to purchase the software. Ralf sent a reply to me within 30 minutes of ordering, which for an un-automated system was VERY quick. I probably timed it just right. But he's active on his forums as well as here, so I don't think that will be much of an issue. It has been said, but I have not seen it myself, that Ralf can have a defensive attitude for anyone he sees as attacking his product, but it works well enough there shouldn't be a need for support. The only issue with VorpX compared to TriDef is there is no Trial version, but due to an issue with the licensing engine, Ralf stated that a Trial Version is in the works, but not as soon as he had hoped previously.

I bought VorpX solely for the selection of games I wanted it to work with and TriDef would only work with older games or games designed with backward engine support for DX9. If TriDef supported DX10/11, there would be a lot more competition, but that is a big selling point for VorpX that TriDef just can't answer to. If the DX10/11 limitation doesn't mean anything to you and all the games you look to Rift on are DX9, then try TriDef, but if DX10/11 is a concern, you don't have much choice then, VorpX hands down.
Aaron Parsons Developer of the FPS Revolution Site Under Development

StCecil
Honored Guest
seems like most ppl favor VorpX

I checked their site tho and it'll cost me $67 from Japan...

which seems messed up. the tax is relatively the same and the yen is even with the dollar. it's just a download.

there is no way 1-3% difference in tax or the yen and dollar being up or down 1-5 cents or something is making a $37 difference

I appriciate the posts. my tridef has like 5 days left so, I'll need one of em sooner than later

CylonSurfer
Expert Protege
"ralfal" wrote:
...as it seem to squash / stretch the image as you move you head...

What you are referring to here is almost certainly an effect that is (on purpose) introduced by the 'Smart' aspect ratio mode to fill the full vertical FOV. If that bothers you, you can easily switch to another AR-Mode on the display page of the in-game menu.

Not sure about the differences you mention in regard to Geometry 3D. I don't think vorpX does anything fundametally different here, but I'll check that.

Hope that helps.

Nope, I have tried all of the settings: SMART, Default, letterbox etc. The letterbox options provide the best results but they are not perfect and the warping is 100% still there. The letterbox options also allow you to see a the bottom / top boarders while tilting your head (this I can live with). Smart / Default are the worst setting by far.

VORPX's and Virieo Geometry 3D modes result in "giant arm / hand" syndrome when playing Skyrim. This effect is not prevalent while using the Tridef driver or a little less related, NVIDIA's 3D Vision. Scaling the NPC Look node in skeleton.nif helps with this issue but introduces other bugs.