cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Quest headsets in Location-Based Entertainment venues

simon_reveley
Honored Guest

Hi All,

We previously had a high level contact at Oculus who told us categorically that any use of Oculus headsets in location-based entertainment would be opposed by the company, but that was a long time ago. I'm aware of a few LBE companies using Quest 2 now and with the release of Spatial Anchors, it feels like Oculus/Meta have thawed on the idea of LBE.

Does anyone know the official Meta policy on the use of their headsets in LBE?

Many thanks,

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

My understanding is that Meta allowed LBE use when they amended their commercial licence at the end of 2020. But licencing agreements are one thing, technical support and functionality are another.... shared spacial anchors for example, which most LBE rely on only got added this year with v49 (I think).

However, the Oculus for Business SDK stopped being sold at the end of 2021 and only existing business customers continue to be supported. So unless I've got things wrong, LBEs using Quests must be using third party management software and if they're buying new Quests, they must be buying them with non-business licences (as Oculus for Business has closed), so they'd be breaching the licence agreements of the purchased headsets.

I doubt Meta see this as a huge deal... unless something happened which harmed a user in some way, either physically (e.g. poor calibration or lack of adequate supervision) or psychologically (e.g. inappropriate content), and in turn harmed Meta.

I think business as a separate use case wasn't benefiting Meta much with the Quest hardware, which really is for games and entertainment, that's changing a bit with the Pro line of headsets but those aren't intended for gaming and don't really fall within the LBE use case, so a form of Oculus for business may return with future Pro headsets, who knows. 

LBE is a bit different though and has a few inherent risks and the income stream probably isn't sufficient to justify support. LBEs may be increasingly using Quests with third party software but I'm pretty sure they're not supported by Meta. I'm not an expert on this though!

Anyone form Meta care to jump in?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

My understanding is that Meta allowed LBE use when they amended their commercial licence at the end of 2020. But licencing agreements are one thing, technical support and functionality are another.... shared spacial anchors for example, which most LBE rely on only got added this year with v49 (I think).

However, the Oculus for Business SDK stopped being sold at the end of 2021 and only existing business customers continue to be supported. So unless I've got things wrong, LBEs using Quests must be using third party management software and if they're buying new Quests, they must be buying them with non-business licences (as Oculus for Business has closed), so they'd be breaching the licence agreements of the purchased headsets.

I doubt Meta see this as a huge deal... unless something happened which harmed a user in some way, either physically (e.g. poor calibration or lack of adequate supervision) or psychologically (e.g. inappropriate content), and in turn harmed Meta.

I think business as a separate use case wasn't benefiting Meta much with the Quest hardware, which really is for games and entertainment, that's changing a bit with the Pro line of headsets but those aren't intended for gaming and don't really fall within the LBE use case, so a form of Oculus for business may return with future Pro headsets, who knows. 

LBE is a bit different though and has a few inherent risks and the income stream probably isn't sufficient to justify support. LBEs may be increasingly using Quests with third party software but I'm pretty sure they're not supported by Meta. I'm not an expert on this though!

Anyone form Meta care to jump in?

biscuitsngravyy
Retired Support

I think you pretty much said it all 🙂

Also, I do know that Quest for Business is in beta mode so their business ventures haven't been dissolved completely, it's just not fully available yet. 

55 BURGERS 55 FRIES 55 TACOS 55 PIES 55 COKES 100 TATER TOTS 100 PIZZAS 100 TENDERS 100 MEATBALLS 100 COFFEES 55 WINGS 55 SHAKES 55 PANCAKES 55 PASTAS 55 PEPPERS AND 155 TATERS

Really useful reply, esp. re the licence agreement changes. Thank you.