cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Trick: Eliminate controller rotation

Anonymous
Not applicable
As many of us are finding out, motion sickness is not an insignificant problem with the current state of VR.

When I do demos for people, I generally just have them sit in the chair and look around as I control them because it's very easy for them to do unpleasant things with the controller. Controller rotation is especially bad.

Well, you can eliminate almost all dependence on the controller rotation. Just rotate your body! So you want to walk in that other direction? Well, naturally, you would turn your body, and then walk there. You wouldn't hop on a spinning wheel to turn you, but that is basically what controller rotation is, and no wonder it's making people feel sick.

It's also kind of fun when you finish to take off your headset and really have no clue which way your body will be facing.

8-)

You can combine this trick with walking in place when moving to really help with motion sickness and overall immersion.
7 REPLIES 7

Capyvara
Explorer
Well, there's the cable...

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Capyvara" wrote:
Well, there's the cable...

Yes, of course. But it's not too hard to adjust for that in my experience. (And in the future things could be cordless.)

Anyway, just something for people to try.

Pyry
Honored Guest
I've found that if you slightly rotate your real body (for example, if you're in a swivel chair) while rotating your virtual body with the controller, it feels much better.

jwilkins
Explorer
I find it amusing that all of the things that would mark you as a gaming n00b such as leaning into corners and moving with the game are becoming required behaviors to keep from getting motion sick while in VR :lol:
(╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻

Wookiee
Honored Guest
I laughed as Cymatic had to do his own head bob to stop from feeling motion sick... now I am doing it too.

spyro
Expert Protege
What really works well here is a simple rotatable office chair and a Gamepad. Mouse and keyboard can't be used in this way unfortunately.

zaptruder
Protege
Really wish the headset to breakout box cable was longer because of this reason. Wanted to experiment with hanging the cable above me to give me free rotation for a few revolutions.

Maybe still achievable by using longer cables for the breakout box.