cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR as a documentary film making/production tool

LZoltowski
Champion
I have been looking at several projects recently which allow you to revisit the places where disasters have struck. Chernobyl, Titanic etc .... They let you take the front seat and experience the events of that time. I think that is a very poignant way to allow the viewer to become closer to the topic and appreciate its gravity.  I think documentary style programming in VR is going to be a big industry. Look at the Apollo experience for example. 

SO here is a question to you good folks, where would you like to be transported to, to see first hand an event in time as if you were there. 

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
14 REPLIES 14

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
360 videos are a no no due to quality, so traditional movie making would be rubbish imo. However, CGI renders is where it's at but I assume would require massive budgets.

I wouldn't mind some darker imagery like a tour of Victorian London through the eyes of Jack the Ripper or one of his victims. Ubisoft actually made a 360 Assassin's Creed video based on the same theme which was "interesting". I think anything where there's something to learn and be entertained at the same time I'm game.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

LZoltowski
Champion
hmmm, yeah 360 videos are a no no, when i said Film making I meant in all respects of the medium. the Chernobyl project will be using LIDAR and 3d scans and those guys are on a low budget, I think the tech is within the grasp of indie makers. The Titanic project has almost no funding yet looks amazing and detailed in full 3d. I think that the tech is there and budget friendly.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
But yeah @Shadowmask72 victorian London would be amazing.

Be kind to one another 🙂

Uberwolfe
Adventurer
I imagine that you could still create compelling works on a relatively tight budget by using mixed-media.. I feel 2D video could still have its place.

For example, think of something akin to the Kennedy speech introduction in Apollo 11 VR where you're sitting in that virtual living room.

I wouldn't be adverse to watching something where the bulk of the documentary is still 2D - in that you watch a 'projected' video - yet your surrounds change and synchronise to various key points throughout the documentary.

So like one minute you could be seated in a LIDAR-mapped environment relevant to the point in the documentary, the next could be some 3D objects floating around in front of you to inspect, and the next could be some clever timeline presented in VR, etc etc there's heaps you could do...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Chernobyl has always intrigued me, even if it is through morbid curiosity.  It has a mystique to it that is seductive.  I often hit up Google maps, then almost certainly move on to Elena Filatova's travel blog images to get a closer look.  This happens repeatedly about every 3 months or so for me.  If someone were to produce such an experience in the Rift, count me in as a buyer.  

Uberwolfe
Adventurer
@iczerjonesI just found out that Chernobyl and Pripyat are mostly mapped in Google Street View as well... freakin' awesome stuff!

Which leads to another question: anyone know the best way to view Google Street View on the CV1?

Edit: Derp... http://oculusstreetview.eu.pn 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
@Uberwolfe @iczerjones Here is the Chernobyl VR Project by a polish studio

http://www.chernobylvrproject.com/en/

It uses a mixture of video, 360 photography, photgrametry and LIDAR scans

It Launches on 1st July

Be kind to one another 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Uberwolfe said:

Which leads to another question: anyone know the best way to view Google Street View on the CV1?

Edit: Derp... http://oculusstreetview.eu.pn 🙂

Yeh but how does one view this in the CV1 do you simply fire up Virtual Desktop and view in via the browser or is there an APP for this? I thought there was an app for the Gear VR.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Despite the poor quality of some 360 videos, I find them compelling

I'd recommend having a look at Collisions (on Jaunt VR), it's a documentary about an indigenous Australian's experience of the atomic bomb tests in the outback.

Neos: The Universe Guided Tour (on VRIDEO) is an amazing trip though the cosmos, starting with the very small scale, progressing to the very largest... and you change scale as you go. That one needs to be downloaded, rather than streamed for best quality... amazing stuff.