cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR games from steam dont use steamVR?

Xnitro67
Honored Guest
Some games i bought from steam dont use steamvr cause i press the home button on left controller nothing happens and because oculus home isnt running right controller just goes blank. even if i load the game from steamvr it doesnt use it. 
5 REPLIES 5

LZoltowski
Champion
Shouldn't Oculus Home be running for SteamVR to work?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Xnitro67
Honored Guest
ive had no problems without oculus home i just use it to setup sensors n stuff

LZoltowski
Champion
Well colour me surprised, I assumed Steam VR sits on top of Oculus SDK via Home app ... that's how it communicates with the controllers.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Xnitro67
Honored Guest
true cause steamvr wouldnt show the oculus it would assume i have the vive lol but the games i get from steam dont use steamvr or atleast the home button doesnt work

kojack
MVP
MVP
There are several kinds of VR games on Steam:
- game uses Oculus SDK only. No steamvr. (Dirt Rally is like this)
- game uses steamvr only, but steamvr always uses the oculus sdk to run on a rift, so you get both systems running at once (not optimal)
- game can detect if you have a rift or vive and choose to use the most appropriate sdk
- game has the option for either sdk, you choose when you tell it to run (steam can put the options on the play button

Well colour me surprised, I assumed Steam VR sits on top of Oculus SDK via Home app ... that's how it communicates with the controllers.

Oculus Home is an app that sits on top of the oculus runtime. It used to be a Unity app, but in Home 2 it's Unreal.
You can block Home from starting (such as by replacing it with another app), the store, dash and games still work, you just can't change your avatar (that's a feature only Home provides).
Any time the oculus runtime activates (game starts, headset proximity sensor is triggered, etc) Home will launch, but it's not actually providing any of the needed VR stuff.

SteamVR does run on top of the Oculus sdk when used with a CV1 (there is no way to use it without going through the oculus sdk). It should spawn Home as well.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2