cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR-ready Notebook performance-estimation

otr-rift
Honored Guest
Hi there @ oculus-forums,
we have just bought a laptop only to find out, that we forgot to have a close look at the GPU, because our current laptop runs a GTX 980M ... which means, we cannot use this laptop with our Oculus Rift-Gear 😞

Anyway we still want to stick to the idea of using a laptop instead of a desktop-pc for our VR-adventures with the rift.

So now we are currently looking at 2 laptops with a "real" GTX980 and would like to have an estimate about their performance with current and upcoming VR-software with the oculus-Rift. We are well aware, that there will always be software 12 - 18 months down the road, that will not run smoothly on today's "top"-hardware, but would like to know if any of the 2 models is already now just at the basic requirements for Oculus-VR or if they have some sort of "headroom" to run the near future VR-software.

• "Asus GX700VO-GC009"   OR   "MSI GT72S Dominator Pro" where both have these basic specs:
    - Intel® Core™ i7 (6th Generation) 6820HK Skylake-CPU
    - 32GB DDR4 RAM ( PC3 17000U / 2133 MHz)
    - Nvidia® GeForce® GTX 980 (8 GB GDDR5 VRAM)
    - windows 10 Home 64Bit

Thanks for taking time to read and answer this question ... looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers,
Winni
6 REPLIES 6

zboson
Superstar

amigabill
Honored Guest
Just got an MSI gt72vr with gtx1070 and 16gb ram. gpu overheats and turns off laptop for aome apps. some demos and videos are ok, but games like eve valkyrie or luckys tale both shut the laptop off in game menubefore i can get into gameplay. system monitor shows gpu goes from 60drg c to 95 deg c in about 10 or 15 seconds of selecting these games and shuts off due to heat. so very hit or miss if this "VR" laptop can be used for your vr app... MSI support says they only certified for consuper rift, which is what i have so i dont understand that comment, and then punted to oculus support, not their problem. so stay away from msi until its sorted out...

PeterKojesta
Explorer
Notebooks with "real GTX980's" (desktop cards) don't work. I have one, and it doesn't work. I've tried a ton of stuff, and the closest I got to making it work was using an HDMI->mini display port adapter, but the view was riddled with red sparkling lines going up/down. 

scopus7
Explorer

amigabill said:

Just got an MSI gt72vr with gtx1070 and 16gb ram. gpu overheats and turns off laptop for aome apps. some demos and videos are ok, but games like eve valkyrie or luckys tale both shut the laptop off in game menubefore i can get into gameplay. system monitor shows gpu goes from 60drg c to 95 deg c in about 10 or 15 seconds of selecting these games and shuts off due to heat. so very hit or miss if this "VR" laptop can be used for your vr app... MSI support says they only certified for consuper rift, which is what i have so i dont understand that comment, and then punted to oculus support, not their problem. so stay away from msi until its sorted out...

thats disapointing to hear. Had high hopes for 10 series laptops, thinking great potential for a more untethered experience, like using with a backpack and finally not being locked into workstation. But If this is the case with all, than so much for the so called "VR Ready laptops"

http://www.roadtovr.com/vr-ready-notebook-laptop-nvidia-10-series-pascal-gpu-1080-1070-1060/

zboson
Superstar

amigabill said:

That's very unfortunate. My 980M MSI gaming laptop works great with the CV1.  I have never had a problem.  I assume that 980M laptops will be a lot cheaper soon.  Most don't work with the CV1 but some do.
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/390567/#Comment_390567

I am planning to upgrade to a 1060, 1070, or 1080 laptop this year.  I will wait for reviews before buying.  I won't be getting the MSI gt72vr it appears.

Sakkura
Heroic Explorer
The majority of the new laptops with 10 series graphics cards should work well for VR, but the manufacturers can always be silly and get it wrong.

If the MSI laptop overheats that quickly, it sounds kinda defective. I would RMA that.