Did you mean: 

Valve Index - Specifications released.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

ParadoxAnomaly
Expert Protege

inovator said:

I've considered the index but mentioned why it's a no for me. The last reason for me considering the index is for the knuckles. Extra fingers will not make your experience better. 

But when I see my hands on the wheel in Project Cars it does make my experience better - just because it looks right. Wiggling my fingers (as silly as it sounds) in VR is going to look awesome and make me feel like I have real hands. Its why Leap Motion looks so awesome too. And don't forget Knuckles allows you to release all fingers at once you need to see all your finger to be stretched out. But I'm not here trying to convince anyone, its personal choice after all.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I don't even own a Pimax 8k.

Then what were you referring to when you said this,
"I'm on HiRes screens man. Pumping 4k per eye for the glory of VR mankind."
???

There's only one VR HMD that advertises 4k per eye, and that's the Pimax 8K.

For comfort, immersion along with Knuckles its not going to be a
downgrade on anything unless you need all out resolution like the
Reverb. Index PPI should be about the same as Pimax.

On paper, the Index HMD is a downgrade from the Pimax 8K HMD.

Theres no rush for Index, VR is still at 1% after 3 years.

On this, I agree.

Zenbane $1000 is a lot of money, but you get a lot for that $1000. Best
in class tracking, most immersive controllers, higher resolution, native
SteamVR support. Wireless compatibility (going on Vive Pro res). Index
is the best all rounder imo.

I agree that as of now, due to some of the inherent limitations of Inside-Out tracking, that Index is offering the best in class tracking. However, the phrase "immersive controllers" is fictitious. These are "human hand controllers" which take away from immersion. Knuckles simply offer "human hand simulation" and "presence." Immersion is something entirely different.

Higher res is nice, I won't lie. But Index isn't offering $1000 resolution. Native SteamVR support is nothing worth advertising either. That's like giving a free coupon to an all-you-can-eat buffet that only serves Shit Sandwiches.

I would price Index as its worth between $600-$700 tops.

As for software, E3 is tomorrow I think. Lots of titles coming to VR regardless of Store preference. Good times.

If I can play most, or all, of them with my Touch Controllers, then again... no reason to spend $1000. So far the most advertised feature of Knuckles is "gestures," Which is like paying $1000 to add 2 more Emoji's.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

I've considered the index but mentioned why it's a no for me. The last reason for me considering the index is for the knuckles. Extra fingers will not make your experience better. 

But when I see my hands on the wheel in Project Cars it does make my experience better - just because it looks right. Wiggling my fingers (as silly as it sounds) in VR is going to look awesome and make me feel like I have real hands.

All experiences that are video games limited to human-like experiences. VR is a platform that offers so much more. If I want to experience my hands and fingers in all their glory... I can do that without a computer.

Also, racing sims are more immersive with a Steering Column, not gamepads on your hands.

inovator
Consultant

inovator said:

But when I see my hands on the wheel in Project Cars it does make my experience better - just because it looks right. Wiggling my fingers (as silly as it sounds) in VR is going to look awesome and make me feel like I have real hands. Its why Leap Motion looks so awesome too. And don't forget Knuckles allows you to release all fingers at once you need to see all your finger to be stretched out. But I'm not here trying to convince anyone, its personal choice after all.

I'm really not trying to burst your bubble. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I hope you have fun with it.