cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve Index durability test

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
A great video came out showing how the Valve Index holds up against constant chronic use. This guy put it through the ringer for over 1,300 hours. I found this most fascinating because my Rift CV1 stands firm with very little wear and tear after 4 years of near brutal usage:
  • Lots of dropping of the HMD and Controllers
  • Loads of sweat from multiple people
  • Banging and slamming in to walls, tables, chairs.
Yet after 4 years, my original 2 Rift sensors and hand-controllers are still going strong. Whether it be for precision aiming in FPS or arms flailing in Beat Saber and Creed Boxing.

In contrast, the Index seems very delicate and breaks down at a faster rate.

This is not a bash of either Valve nor the Index. This is clearly a durability test that many people may not go through. Not everyone uses their VR HMD so intensely. But for those who, like me, will push your VR Kit to some demanding physical exertion, then it's certainly worth noting.

While Rift CV1 clearly shines in this category, I'm curious to see how Quest and Rift-S hold up in comparison. I imagine that the Quest is fairing well in this category, due to its strong Rift-like design. But Rift-S may need some stronger evaluation.
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

A great video came out showing how the Valve Index holds up against constant chronic use. This guy put it through the ringer for over 13,000 hours.

That seemed like a huge amount of time, so it got my interest. At 10 hours per day, it would take over 3 and a half years.
So I watched the video......... it's 1,300 hours. Still pretty good though. 🙂

About the cable, both Oculus and Valve..........
One thing that has always confused me is that most PC cases are on the right hand side of the user, either on the desk or on the floor, but headphones and VR headsets have the cable coming from the left side. It makes no sense to me. I always run the Rift cable round the back of my neck and over my right shoulder to avoid bending it at the head band. Some people just let it hang down their left side and it must put a lot of strain on the cable.
The index seems to share a lot of physical design with the Rift, here's hoping they keep supplying cables well into the future.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yeah, 1300 not 13000. Oops! lol

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Zen, I agree that the Rift cv1 is pretty bulletproof.  So is my Go btw.  I have a spare cv1 cable so I hopefully will be good for a long time.

I just got the Quest and I think it will be close to the same. 

Not too sure about the Lenovo Rift S (which I bought and returned last year).  Seemed a bit Lenovo-flimsy to me.

I still may consider buying the Valve Index controllers if they ever decide to ship these to Australia.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richooal said:

Zenbane said:

A great video came out showing how the Valve Index holds up against constant chronic use. This guy put it through the ringer for over 13,000 hours.

That seemed like a huge amount of time, so it got my interest. At 10 hours per day, it would take over 3 and a half years.
So I watched the video......... it's 1,300 hours. Still pretty good though. 🙂

About the cable, both Oculus and Valve..........
One thing that has always confused me is that most PC cases are on the right hand side of the user, either on the desk or on the floor, but headphones and VR headsets have the cable coming from the left side. It makes no sense to me. I always run the Rift cable round the back of my neck and over my right shoulder to avoid bending it at the head band. Some people just let it hang down their left side and it must put a lot of strain on the cable.
The index seems to share a lot of physical design with the Rift, here's hoping they keep supplying cables well into the future.

Excellent point about the choice of cable placement being on the left side. My PC is a full tower, and sits on my right side on the floor. So the cable has to go around the back side of my neck and down my right side. I so wish it had exited the right side of the device.

I have been using my Rift S pretty much daily since getting it when it was released last May. Only wear and tear I have on it so far is the covering over the cushion on the right side of the headband is starting to tear away just a little. Back around the end that curves around.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Richooal said:

here's hoping they keep supplying cables well into the future.

Although they have already run out of stock. Hopefully none of you with an Index needs one right now.

TomCgcmfc said:

Not too sure about the Lenovo Rift S (which I bought and returned last year).  Seemed a bit Lenovo-flimsy to me.

The headset seems fine, but the Rift-S / Quest controllers seem way too fragile. There's so many posts on reddit showing pics of broken Rift-S/Quest Touch, the ring breaks very easily.
Whereas the CV1 Touch controllers have dished out far more damage than they've ever taken.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
My CV1 is still solid after a couple years and actually a few drops on a hard floor. My Rift S started falling apart after a couple months, but just superficially. The foam padding all came loose, the snap in facial insert comes loose constantly, the rubber nose flap always comes loose, and I'm on my 3rd cable. None of this is surprising considering that much of it is built by Lenovo which doesn't have a great reputation for quality.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I don't have a Rift-S, but the Halo design does appear to do more to soak up sweat than the original Rift CV1. Then again, I ended up replacing the foam on my CV1 with a nice blue pleather replacement. I think any foam in general is gong to fall apart eventually once sweat gets involved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My CV1 is still solid after a couple years and actually a few drops on a hard floor. My Rift S started falling apart after a couple months, but just superficially. The foam padding all came loose, the snap in facial insert comes loose constantly, the rubber nose flap always comes loose, and I'm on my 3rd cable. None of this is surprising considering that much of it is built by Lenovo which doesn't have a great reputation for quality.

Mine is still pretty solid. Only wear issue I have is a little part of the foam padding cover starting to come loose on right rear side of head-strap, where it wraps around.
Been using it pretty much daily since I got it on release day last May.  Many hours a week. Touch controllers and headset really in great shape.
But yeah can't really compare to CV1, CV1 and it's Touch Controllers built like a tank. I paid a lot more for that tank also.

pyroth309
Visionary
My CV1 is pretty ragged at this point but it's been through a few accidents. However the OG touch are incredibly durable. Mine have been dropped, slammed into the wall, slammed into the floor from being let go, stepped on, smashed, you name it and the only thing wrong with them is a bunch of scuff marks on the plastic. They're a masterwork when it comes to controllers imo. Well, except for the High G force/battery spring issue but there's work arounds to fix that so yea.