cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification process

xHoder
Explorer
Has anyone experienced a similar issue of needing to provide their ID so you could process with your order? If so, i was wondering how long did it take for the support team to fix that.
:^)
9 REPLIES 9

wuzp
Rising Star

xHoder said:

Has anyone experienced a similar issue of needing to provide their ID so you could process with your order? If so, i was wondering how long did it take for the support team to fix that.
:^)

Never ran into that particular issue personally, BUT from an InfoSec perspective, these are the obvious guesses:
  • If the verification request came IMMEDIATELY AFTER you entered your payment information, then it has to do with whatever payment processor Oculus is using, and it's usually due to an issue you're already familiar with; regarding your form of payment.
  • If the verification request came BEFORE you were asked for your payment information, OR IN PLACE OF an order confirmation email, it might be for one or more of the following reasons, which are all related to ITAR or other export restrictions:
  1. You used a VPN to place your order and the exit point is substantially different from where you claim to be, or happens to be in an ITAR or other trade restricted area.  Example: you're in the US and try using a VPN that for some reason, has an exit point in the DPRK.
  2. Your gave a shipping address that is substantially different than the IP address given off by your browser.  Example: Your IP address indicates you live in a country that bans the import of electronic game systems, but you want it shipped to a relative who lives someplace else.

xHoder
Explorer
It was after the payment but its been resolved now, just gotta wait for it to ship c:

wuzp
Rising Star

xHoder said:

It was after the payment but its been resolved now, just gotta wait for it to ship c:

Without revealing any PII (Personally Identifiable Information), what was the fuss about?

xHoder
Explorer
They wanted my ID to process with the order, gave them and took around 5ish days so i was wondering what the normal wait time for the review was. Guess kinda got impatient 

wuzp
Rising Star

xHoder said:

They wanted my ID to process with the order...

"That" is very unusual; asking you for your ID.  Is it because you are ordering from or shipping to a non-US location?  Or maybe because that thought you were underage?

xHoder
Explorer
Maybe being cautious since this is a new account but yeah from Australia

wuzp
Rising Star

xHoder said:

Maybe being cautious since this is a new account but yeah from Australia

Well, an Oculus headset counts as a "Computer" and would therefore be listed on the CCL (Commerce Control List).  US Export Controls require that shipments of CCL items to Australia require Oculus to complete an Export License.  THAT is the most likely reason they wanted your ID.  Oculus headsets are CCL items, subject to export controls, because they are a "duel use technology."

Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't need to provide any I.D. when I bought mine. I just ordered it and paid for it in the same way I buy anything online.

wuzp
Rising Star

Richooal said:

I didn't need to provide any I.D. when I bought mine. I just ordered it and paid for it in the same way I buy anything online.

Maybe, in addition to living in Australia, he has the same name as someone on the Department of Commerce’s Denied Persons List.  Like the no-fly list, mixups and paranoia happen, LOL.