cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visualizing protein structures?

CountBorgula
Protege
Has anyone gotten a biomolecular viewer working with the Oculus Rift yet? This was one of my primary motivations for getting this, and just wondering what work has already been done on this. Here are a couple of programs that this could be made to work with:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/ (my favorite)

http://accelrys.com/resource-center/downloads/freeware/index.html

I can already view in 3D with VMD, by setting Stereo to side by side, but there is no distortion and I don't know how to get the headtracker to work.

CountBorgula
20 REPLIES 20

biohacker
Honored Guest
Macromolecule visualization is also one of the main reason's I've jumped on board, and I look forward to how it develops. I have spent time doing this in a CAVE and it changed the way I look at structures. It is really cool to literally use a virtual light saber to grab and manipulate the molecules! At least one person here is also working in a CAVE:

"PatrickBauer" wrote:
I'm actualla gonna use the Rift for a research project at my university. Topic is the Augmented Reality integration into our CAVE (http://people.f4.htw-berlin.de/people/tj/cave.htm) using the Rift and attaching one or two webcams.

As for visualizing molecules, IMV already has OR support, and looks good for animations, though I haven't tried it - http://www.molecular-visualization.com/

There are other devs on the forum who are looking to update their software too:

"Xcalllibur" wrote:
Yes absolutely! My main reason to purchase the Rift (along with wanting to play cool games on it) was because i write software to visualise proteins and other bio-informatic structures in 3D. I think a headset like this is absolutely going to revolutionise the experience and the industry as a whole. I am going to start by updating my simple protein visualiser Procreate http://members.iinet.net.au/~lahg/procreate/

"bradlarson" wrote:
I'm the developer of a launch application on Leap Motion's Airspace app store (Molecules, a Mac-based molecular viewer that I'm currently adding Rift support to), so I can provide another perspective on the device. I've had access to one as a developer for a few months, and I still think there's good potential for the Leap Motion controller as an input device to the Rift...

I would love to see some of the really analytical and technical software get support for OR - things like Rosetta, PyMol, Chimera, or DeepView/Swiss-PDBViewer.

And last but not least, Foldit, the protein folding video game is a no-brainer. This is the video game which made popular press headlines when gamers were able to solve the 3D structure of an HIV protein in 10 days, a structure which years of traditional methods couldn't solve. Here's a quote from a CNET article which sums it up nicely:

"People have spatial reasoning skills-something computers are not yet good at," Foldit's lead designer, Seth Cooper, said in a statement. "Games provide a framework for bringing together the strengths of computers and humans."

You can play it right now for free at http://fold.it/portal/.

I am looking forward to seeing where this goes!

mstdesigns
Honored Guest
Why do I have to give my contact details on a f*****g freeware?

cybereality
Grand Champion
I agree the asking for full contact details is a bit much, but please be respectful with your complaints.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

biohacker
Honored Guest
For the record, I am not affiliated with any of these projects, and I only have personal experience with some of them. I just wanted to post what I have found to be out there, and what I think the possibilities are. But if any of the main devs want some extra help, I would be happy to contribute as my time and abilities allow.

lissencephalic
Honored Guest
This is the reason I purchased my Rift as well (well, the gaming part is fun too! 😉 )

I am really surprised none of the protein viewers actually have support yet. I am inexperienced, but it seems to me that adding support to these programs would be a lot easier than adding support to a game.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Im very new to the whole OC scene, but i think it can of much use to my university.

We currently have a VR suite, its a huge projector screen with 3D projector and glasses, programs used is Virtalis VR for Pymol 1.2

I dont personally use it so forgive my lack of knowledge.

Is there any updates on Rift support for these or any other protein structures programs, last update to this thread was 6 months ago.

Id love to be able to replace a whole room and expensive projector with relatively inexpensive Oculus Rift

Thanks

Mark

Vin
Explorer
"oasismark" wrote:
Hi

Im very new to the whole OC scene, but i think it can of much use to my university.

We currently have a VR suite, its a huge projector screen with 3D projector and glasses, programs used is Virtalis VR for Pymol 1.2

I dont personally use it so forgive my lack of knowledge.

Is there any updates on Rift support for these or any other protein structures programs, last update to this thread was 6 months ago.

Id love to be able to replace a whole room and expensive projector with relatively inexpensive Oculus Rift

Thanks

Mark

This thread on this forum isn't the appropriate venue for asking if a specific application will support the Oculus Rift. You should contact your vendor and inquire to them directly what their plans on supporting it when it's released are.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was also asking what other programs folk use for the same purpose though.

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
I was certainly thinking about something like this. Some of the programs are open source, so we should be able to add Rift support. I'd really like to be able to visualize protein structures in VR.