cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vive adjustable FOV potentially better for glassess users

thief6666
Honored Guest
HTC Vive Has a Hidden Mechanism to Maximize Field of View:

The Vive Pre (and consumer Vive, which is essentially the same) has both a mechanism to adjust the distance between lenses (IPD), but also the distance from the user’s eyes to the lenses.

To me seems like form eyes-to-lenses - which is different than focus (lenses-to-screen). Than would be HUGE for glasses and potentially also can help some to increase FOV by getting you eyes closer to lenses (in RIFT this distance may not be optimal for everyone resulting in lower FOV)

I know that it worked for me in cardboard, where I easily gained 10 degree bigger FOV by cutting some unnecessary "spacers" and still the lenses were not touching my eyelashes...
9 REPLIES 9

VizionVR
Rising Star
It's called eye relief adjustment and I was really hoping Oculus would have carried this over from DK2. I took the advice of an old sage who lurks around here and trimmed my eyelashes for even bigger FOV.
Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.

You could get another 0.5mm if you shave your eyebrows off

VizionVR
Rising Star
"DaftnDirect" wrote:
You could get another 0.5mm if you shave your eyebrows off

Jokes on you! I melted my eyebrows off in a horrific smelting accident.

Those smelting accidents can be a real pain... luckily didn't affect yer lashes so always count yer blessings.
I have a friend who once had his eyebrows shaved off while he was out cold drunk. We made him a pair of adhesive ones so he could change his expression

Deadace
Protege
Can't help wondering if the fov will be lacking for a lot of people on Rift, when there is no adjustment and it's a 'one fov fits all' solution. Especially since it's also made to fit people with glasses.. I guess that makes it a negative compromise for people without?!
I'm guessing on Vive, you're actually able to push the lenses right up to licking your eyeball! 🙂

But I think I read somewhere, that Rift comes with different size lenses and/or different size foam spacers between the googles and your face to accomodate different facial structures. Anyone got some info on this?

Percy1983
Superstar
I believe there is several facial interfaces and the glasses one pushes the rift a little further away.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Silverfoxx30
Protege
"Deadace" wrote:
Can't help wondering if the fov will be lacking for a lot of people on Rift, when there is no adjustment and it's a 'one fov fits all' solution. Especially since it's also made to fit people with glasses.. I guess that makes it a negative compromise for people without?!
I'm guessing on Vive, you're actually able to push the lenses right up to licking your eyeball! 🙂

But I think I read somewhere, that Rift comes with different size lenses and/or different size foam spacers between the googles and your face to accomodate different facial structures. Anyone got some info on this?

I read that as well, easier to turn a dial on the side of the vive though.

Percy1983
Superstar
"Silverfoxx30" wrote:
"Deadace" wrote:

I read that as well, easier to turn a dial on the side of the vive though.

Yes and no, by all means I will setup my rift and leave it like most people will, no if there is a mechanical section to move the eye relief it can move over time and need tweaking sometimes where there is no such problem with the rift.

Overall I don't think either method is better or worse, positives and negatives to both.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

VizionVR
Rising Star
"DaftnDirect" wrote:
Those smelting accidents can be a real pain... luckily didn't affect yer lashes so always count yer blessings.
I have a friend who once had his eyebrows shaved off while he was out cold drunk. We made him a pair of adhesive ones so he could change his expression

You literally made me LOL!