Did you mean: 

Vr Fails

Anonymous
Not applicable
34 REPLIES 34

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

we'll see what kind of negative publicity ensues when someone is killed or grievously injured in VR. 

In related news...

Pokemon Go has caused a police car crash, multiple robberies, and a dead boy sighting

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/07/08/pokemon-gos-unexpected-side-effect-inju...

Idiots Who Got Injured Playing Pokemon Go

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/slideshows/15-idiots-who-hurt-themselves-playing-pokemon-go/

Pokemon Go stats:
Total number of downloads – 100 million (by August 8th, Google Play market only)

Total revenue – $268 million (by August 12st)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ironically enough someone getting seriously injured or even killed in VR will probably be GOOD for the industry, particularly if someone dies from a heart attack whilst playing something. If someone was running a book on game that causes the first VR-related death I'd put my money on a horror game of some description giving someone a heart attack. I'm surprised it hasn't happened with something like Affected or Dreadhalls yet tbh. And when it happens there will be LOADS of people who will want to spend the money on a video game system and games that has literally scared someone to death.  😮

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Couldn't agree more @snowdog

Afterall, Darwin Awards rarely end up bad for business. There's a difference between true neglect by an organization and consumer idiocy.

Case in point, McDonald's not only continues to serve hot coffee, they expanded their caffeine-based menu.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just hope that it's not going to be me that ends up snuffing it. I'm getting my Rift on the 24th with a bit of luck so am going on a horror game run on Halloween lololol  😮 😄

Dreadhalls, Dreadeye, Affected, Lucky's Tale (just to calm myself down a bit lmfao), Monstrum, Boogeyman, The Visitor, Bioshock 1 and Outlast.

Any more suggestions will be much appreciated, preferably free ones! :smiley:

And I promise that I hereby legally absolve you of any blame should I end up brown bread after playing anything that you guys suggest lol  😛

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As I've said before, Lucky's Tail is scary as F#$@. Who isn't scared of an intelligent little animal ? And don't get me started on Pokemon Go. Cars essential ? Pah. Nearly crashed my car chasing the little gits 😉 so lesson here is cars and Pokemon are dangerous and together ?.........well be warned lol
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

CrashFu
Consultant
I think it's pretty obvious that in most of these incidents, the cause was attempting to do Room-Scale VR in a space that is not adequate for it.

Nobody should even attempt Room Scale unless they can set up in a room that is:
  • At least 10 feet squared.
  • Completely empty of furniture and clutter.
  • Has ceilings  that clear the user's overhead reach by at least a full foot, with no overhead fans or light fixtures.
  • Not occupied by anyone stupid enough to stand within arm's reach of the user while they play.

Obviously, most people don't HAVE a space like that available, which is why I predict one of two things for Room-Scale's future:
  1. It becomes relegated to "rich-persons' novelty" status, developers lose interest in making room-scale games (unless they charge many times the price of a normal game, to make up for the reduced market) and ultimately, most people forget about it altogether, like 3D traditional monitors.
  2. Or people who don't have adequate space for it keep trying to play the games anyways, and we get to enjoy YEARS of "VR's Funniest Home Videos".
Which way do you think it will go?  Will short attention spans win out over human stupidity, or the other way around? 😉

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
@CrashFu
the cause was attempting to do Room-Scale VR in a space that is not adequate for it.

Exactly. I mean really... if you put on a blindfold in your own room inside your own house, and then fall out your own damn window, you are accountable for whatever happens next 😘

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not too worried about Room Scale VR myself because I've got bugger all space for it. Even if I move furniture around I've only got maximum 2m x 2m.

Plus I'm a lazy git and plan to do the vast majority of my VR gaming sat on my fat arse lmfao :blush: :smiley:

Warbloke
Superstar

Zenbane said:

@CrashFu
the cause was attempting to do Room-Scale VR in a space that is not adequate for it.

Exactly. I mean really... if you put on a blindfold in your own room inside your own house, and then fall out your own damn window, you are accountable for whatever happens next 😘

That's why I also use handcuffs.
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

CrashFu
Consultant
@Atmos73 - All anecdotal evidence I've heard points to Touch sharing the same impressive durability as the Vive wands.   They've been smacked into walls at tech shows (unintentionally) without any noticeable impact on their performance.  (The controllers' performance, that is. Not sure how the walls are holding up.)

Clearly, both devices' designers realized the likely repercussion to blind-folding people and then asking them to flail their hundred-dollar game controllers around.  Plus, y'know, they had plenty of Wii  Fail videos available as a case study for the necessity of controller durability (and rigid "property damage" clauses in the product warranty pages)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.