cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the big deal with Facebook account needed to use (some apps on) Oculus? Why people hate this

petra.skachova
Level 4
In this thread I´d like to face the fact that many people don´t want to use Oculus as they need a Facebook account. I will list some advantages of having a FB account connected in vr, and an (obvious) solution for those who don´t want to link their personal FB account with Oculus. There might be also downsides of the Facebook integration in an overall independent and complete Oculus platform that could survive maybe without the Zuckerberg's hand on it. Let's discuss this. 
--------------------------
(yes, I edited the intro to be more clear in what I wanted to express, this is the point I wanted to discuss with you). 
Let's talk about Oculus headsets and the privacy. I'd like to point out that I am not a FB fan, I only want to know your point of view, as I understood that this is a widely discussed question. 
The whole deal was to connect with your friends you already have on Facebook, in order to have someone to share your virtual experiences, apps and games with. I see no deal with this, since I myself have a Facebook account. Lately Facebook added through new firmware updates additional functions, so now you can message, chat, call and share directly with your Facebook friends. Also, Facebook Horizon is coming, and it will be a whole new level of social life.

Still, I understand that a lot of people don´t fancy the social world. I´m not a great fan of it either, as I value my privacy and don´t share my private life on these channels. I even cancelled myself from FB in the past as I didn´t see it as a necessary implementation to my life. Then I reactivated it to promote my activities and it helped actually 🙂 

It´s obvious, that every vr headset producer will ask you to log-in or create an account in order to link you with their services, to merge it with your information and to offer you a better experience. Facebook is asking for a FB account, HTC Vive and Sony will have an admission of their own, too.

I personally found a great advantage of having a FB account connected with my Oculus, because it was easy to find right away someone from my trusted contacts who also had an Oculus and we could try some apps together. Doing it alone is sometimes very boring and not the point.

With that being said - for all those who don´t want to be obliged to have a FB account to use Oculus, don´t worry. Just create a new FB account, with a name and picture you prefer, that you will use on your Oculus just for that purpose. There you can still add friends who have Oculus and you can share the experience together. It can be your secondary FB account that no one will have access to, just you and the people you want. I really don´t see such a bid deal with it. You don´t have to post there anything, no phone number, no photos, no posts. It´s your life and your privacy and that´s understandable.

It would be a pity if just this reason stopped you from discovering the amazing world of VR.
What is your opinion about it - do you agree or disagree with Facebook wanting your account connected in order to use Oculus?

P.S.: I edited the part about Xiaomi as it was not an exact and detailed information, it was not the point of the thread, so don't stick to that). I also edited the title of the thread a tiny little bit to be more clear. 

Thank you Everyone for posting your opinion! 

tu9zs9b936by.jpg
101 REPLIES 101

BoonDock_Saint
Level 2
People are sick and tired of facebook's strong arm tactics. it's that simple. Why would you need to enable location services on your phone in order to find your headset? So facebook has more info about you to sell that's why. These headsets aren't some free app, they're expensive devices that you should be able to fully use without giving facebook ANY information. Unfortunately, millennials have no problem with giving up all of their personal information to everyone and anyone and facebook has built an empire from that.

Zenbane
Level 15

People are sick and tired of facebook's strong arm tactics. it's that simple. Why would you need to enable location services on your phone in order to find your headset? So facebook has more info about you to sell that's why. These headsets aren't some free app, they're expensive devices that you should be able to fully use without giving facebook ANY information. Unfortunately, millennials have no problem with giving up all of their personal information to everyone and anyone and facebook has built an empire from that.

Location services are needed for multiple pieces of hardware:
  • Smart Camers (e.g. 360fly Camera)
  • Neato and other robot vacuums
  • Smart Watches (Apple Watch, Fitbit, etc)
There is actually a technical reason for this; it's not because of any conspiracy or because "millennials give up privacy." I stole this answer from reddit so that I didn't have to waste time trying to explain it:
scanning for open WiFi points is a commonly used technique to find a rough location (by comparing visible WiFi networks to a database of WiFi locations), which is why the permission to scan for WiFi networks is hidden behind the "location" permission in Android and iOS.

Everyone's privacy has been compromised for years by multiple organizations, including your Internet Service Providers. If privacy is truly a concern, then stay off the Internet and remove all computer-based devices from your home.

kevinw729
Level 15
wxl3l4x1ioma.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

cybernettr
Level 9
I just hope I'm not Palmer Luckey'd someday if I express a polite opinion in a VR chat that Facebook doesn't approve of. With the crazy state of affairs in this country and world today, that's the direction we're headed in. Considering the way Oculus treated its own founder, we have a right to be concerned.

Zenbane
Level 15
Palmer Luckey'd himself, which he enjoys doing quite often. The only people who should be concerned are those will ill-intent.

cybernettr
Level 9
Yeah, sure, that’s what they always say.

Anonymous
Not applicable
 Aside from forcing facebook on folks my understanding is that it also links all your info such as real name, place where you live and so on. Many have created facebook pages just for real life family and friends only. This is dangerous opening your family, friends and yourself to hackers, internet stalkers,  and pedophiles if you have kids and happen to game with or be targeted by the wrong person. Are you kidding me?
   I may not like facebook forcing me to link accounts for targeting adverts and data collection (which I don't entirely trust every employee there). I can't understand why they would put us in such a dangerous position.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Again , Oculus is owned by FB Technologies.
It should not be any surprise they are incorporating more of the FB platform into Oculus devices.
It would be nice if they did not and kept them all separate for sure, but I think most probably saw this coming.
FB did not buy Oculus just for the PC-VR gaming platform.
Thankfully there are other device available for those not willing to go the FB route for Oculus.

kevinw729
Level 15

dburne said:

Again , Oculus is owned by FB Technologies.
It should not be any surprise they are incorporating more of the FB platform into Oculus devices.
It would be nice if they did not and kept them all separate for sure, but I think most probably saw this coming.
FB did not buy Oculus just for the PC-VR gaming platform.
Thankfully there are other device available for those not willing to go the FB route for Oculus.

Have to agree @dburne - though there were previous comments that they would "stay separate" and that they would be "autonomous". When this was questioned, some defended that it would be stupid for FB to interfere - but that was some time back now and I think the reality has set in (especially after the law suit when FB's true invested in Oculus was revealed), that they were on a trajectory of integration. 

For me the departure of the leads on the Half Dome team, and the shuttering of Oculus Texas after Carmack moved on, kind of places the situation into perspective. Seeing a number of previous Oculus execs sporting "Facebook VR" business cards was also a revelation, at trade events last year.  

The number of crossovers between the FB AR team and their product, and the Oculus Quest team is again obvious, and a MR platform combining both disciplines would be a particle direction. And as you said, FB did not buy Oculus just for its PC-VR platform - as can be seen in handing this off to Lenovo as fast as possible when CV1 failed to hit targets. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Aside from forcing facebook on folks my understanding is that it also links all your info such as real name, place where you live and so on. Many have created facebook pages just for real life family and friends only. This is dangerous opening your family, friends and yourself to hackers, internet stalkers,  and pedophiles if you have kids and happen to game with or be targeted by the wrong person. Are you kidding me?
   I may not like facebook forcing me to link accounts for targeting adverts and data collection (which I don't entirely trust every employee there). I can't understand why they would put us in such a dangerous position.

The link between your Oculus account and Facebook account is in the background. People on your Oculus friends list, or people you interact with in a VR game, do NOT see your Facebook account or identity (unless you choose to share it). You still play and interact using you Oculus username, just like here on the forum. 

Now, specific Facebook apps like Horizons or Venues might use your FB identity and FB friends list, but that’s not how it works for general Oculus games. 

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2