cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your favorite Rift memory?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Having received confirmation from Carmack that Quest is the path forward for both Oculus and Facebook (carrying the VR Torch forward for Quest, GO, and yes, the Rift), I think it's only appropriate to give the Rift a proper send-off!

Share your best, and worst, Rift moments.

My favorite moments
  • Day 1 of receiving it and jumping in to Farlands; which is still one of my favorite VR experiences of all time.
  • The 6+ hour session during Dead & Buried after Touch launched for the first time. That's some of the most "social gaming" fun I've had in years. Rivaled only by LAN parties I used to host in my youth. No only was the combat exciting and thrilling, but the hilarity of the commentary with all the strangers I met online, coupled with the workout my legs received, remains as a vivid memory to this very day. I still remember how my legs were utter jelly when I woke up the next day.
  • The time I was whooping arse in Creed Boxing, and I took a video where I beat down someone who was talking mad smack IRL. The best part is that the audio recorded in "chipmunk" voice without me knowing; which made for a hilarious final product.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GATWgbHEsaQ

Anyone else?
 🙂 
56 REPLIES 56

Double_Shot
Adventurer
There are many but interacting with the Wall-E looking character the very first time to learn the basics was incredible to me.  I kept saying out loud, "Oh WOW!  Oh WOW!"  Ever since then, I have had all new users of my Rift and now Rift S go through that first before I show them anything else.  After that, the next real big WOW moment was Lone Echo.  (The first 2/3 of it anyway.  Hated the never ending red, bulbous walls.)

Worst experience?  Dang, can't think of one.  If I DLd an app I didn't like, I just moved on to the next one.

(Great idea for a thread, btw.)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Getting Flyinside working in the DK2 in FSX then the CV1, mind blown doesn't even come close, to be inside an aircraft in VR still to this day is bloody amazing.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

HaselHoof
Adventurer

There are many but interacting with the Wall-E looking character the very first time to learn the basics was incredible to me.  I kept saying out loud, "Oh WOW!  Oh WOW!" 

Same here , i stll get that wow now . It still surprises me that people who have never wore an HMD still say it's not matured yet ... i mean they have no idea what they are missing.
And this will be my 2nd HMD as ive got the CV1 and cant wait to be cable-less and free woohoo .

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Until my Rift cv1 gives up the ghost I'll continue to make new/better memories.  It's been a great ride and I hope it will continue for some time to come.

My only negative experience was early on with Aircar.  I got sooo airsick and this lasted for several hours.  Took it a bit slower after that until I finally got my VR-legs.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Not many people will be aware that the Rift hardware was used in The VOID (LBE VR) attraction - the first time the system was premiered, had many hours of fun using the redirected walking backpack PC system - with the Rift supply amazing visuals reconfigured into the VOID's helmet, and most people never knew. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

saami81
Rising Star
First time playing Dirt Rally with CV1. I got sick after few minutes and i thought im gonna die. Now i can play all day.

lensmandave
Superstar
Sitting in the DCS Spitfire cockpit and actually feeling nervous to start her up in case I broke something. Spent ages just giggling at all the 'sticky out' switches and controls. Followed by the real stomach churning feeling as I watched the ground fall away as I eased up off the runway.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has to be me seeing the inside of the Sidewinder cockpit, the inside of a Coriolis Space Station and the first time I jumped out of hyperspace in Elite Dangerous, plus my very first time that I experienced presence in Dreamdeck by shitting bricks and instinctively taking a step back when I looked over the edge of the skyscraper. My brain was fooled that I was going to fall. 😮

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sitting in the DCS Spitfire cockpit and actually feeling nervous to start her up in case I broke something. Spent ages just giggling at all the 'sticky out' switches and controls. Followed by the real stomach churning feeling as I watched the ground fall away as I eased up off the runway.

Same for me. First thing I did after seeing the awesome dinosaur was firing up DCS and getting into the cockpit of the Spitfire. Jaw went straight to the floor lol. Nothing I had read about the experience prepared me for how awesome it was actually going to be.