cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which AMD processors?

CountBorgula
Protege
So, is there any guidance as to which AMD processors are "Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater", Can we please get some clarity as to which, if any, AMD processors will meet the recommended specs?
11 REPLIES 11

onefang
Explorer
"jngdwe" wrote:
"onefang" wrote:
The problem with the FX CPUs is that none of them support PCIe v3, which all of the recommended graphics cards need. Which annoyed me, I was hoping I could just update my CPU to one of those, they will fit on my existing motherboard. Now I have to update mobo as well, or get an entirely new Intel based computer. sigh

The new PCIe cards are backwards compatible, and you won't lose much as a result.

Hmm, that opens up another option for my "upgrade for CV1" plans. I had come to the conclusion that I should upgrade my current main PC to be "mediocre Rift compatible", at about the time I get my CV1, then some time next year upgrade again to "kick arse Rift compatible". If I can just slap a GTX 970 card into my existing system, that saves a lot of effort and expense. A bit more research is needed.

I'm hoping that next year I can build a kick arse HMD development system out of Pascal and Zen. Note that I'm not a gamer, I'm a virtual world developer. So games don't interest me that much. This will be the closest I have ever come to building a games box, just to support HMDs.

Quentym
Explorer
Just look up some benchmarks?