cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which modern gaming laptops are KNOWN to work with Quest 2 and Oculus Link?

semmelbroesel
Honored Guest

Hi.

I am looking for suggestions on gaming laptops that ARE KNOWN to work with the Quest 2 and the Oculus Link (e.g. for Steam VR), e.g. laptops that you yourself are successfully using to play PC VR games on your Quest 2 through the Oculus Link.

Here are other elements I am looking for:

• 17" monitor or bigger
  • 4GB 6GB dedicated video card RAM or more
  • Less than 2 years old
  • Bonus: As little bloatware as possible (e.g. software that insists on taking over your screen brightness for you because it "knows better"...)
  • Must work with Quest 2, Oculus Link, and Steam VR

Here are some laptops that I am considering - does anyone have one of these and had no trouble getting Oculus Link to work with their Quest 2?

• MSI Raider GE Series 17"
  • MSI Stealth GS Series 17"
  • ASUS ROG Strix Scar 17 SE

You can stop reading here and simply answer the question 🙂

If you want to know the lengthy background for this request, read on.

One of my laptops cannot run Oculus Link correctly. The headset only shows the three "loading" dots when starting Oculus Link. My best guess is that it has to do with Windows picking the wrong video card (between integrated Intel and high-end nVidia) despite my manual setting changes.

I cannot imagine that most Quest 2 owners would have had to go through the ridiculous amounts of troubleshooting steps that I have tried - so some laptops MUST work from the start. I have a 6 year old laptop that worked immediately but is too slow to run games well (it only seems to have one video card).

Yes, the video card and laptop are new enough and officially supported by Meta.

Yes, I have already wasted a few days with Meta support, and I eventually managed to get it to work on my own for ONE test during which everything seemed to work. Yesterday, I tried again, and it no longer worked.

Yes, I HAVE tried things like:

• Disable the second video card in Device Manager (which disables most advanced graphics parts of Windows Explorer as it refuses to switch to the better card by itself)
  • Windows Graphics Settings - force the Oculus apps to use the better card - already done, used to work, stopped working, and again, not sustainable to constantly keep messing with it
  • Update video drivers - both cards, repeatedly
  • Re-install Oculus - done multiple times, completely removed all elements of it - fixed ONE issue I had, but not this one

Yes, I'm sure there are things I could still try, but it's just not worth the effort anymore, especially if things randomly break again with some update or other! I'd rather buy a new laptop that I KNOW works, and then I'm done.

So please let me know if you have a laptop that fits my specs and works well with your Quest 2 and the Oculus Link.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

I can't make a specific recommendation as I don't game on a laptop (why artificially compromise the experience?) but you'll need more than 4GB of GPU RAM for a good experience. 6GB of dedicated VRAM is the practical minimum and more is better.

True, more VRAM would be better - I'm going by a particular non-VR game that has 4GB as minimum that I'd also like to play, and I didn't think further...

hazed100
Protege

Does it have to be a laptop? I assume it does or you would likely have gone down the route of a PC. But as a thought have you considered the small form factor PCs as these would allow you to swap out just a graphics card and not have to pay out for a whole laptop. Seems an incredibly high price to pay to get link working.

All I know is I'm in similar position , have been looking into what I need to run a decent flight sim with an occulus at a stable fps at a high level [hopefully @100fps or more]

So far I have realised you need a really beefy setup. A laptop would have to be a monster and incredibly expensive. I think even a 3060 card would be no good. This is why now I'm looking at a PC rather than a gaming laptop myself. Atm a 3070 Ti is the minimum spec and 8Gb of as fast a RAM as I can afford. Also a minimum cpu around the i7 range although I don't think the cpu is as critical.  Video ram amd memory seem to be key to a better vr experience.

Personally I think gaming laptops are for now, not worth it.  Good luck though I hope you find one that does the job you need.

My previous gaming computer (now 12 years old) is a monster, and after carrying that to one too many LAN parties and coming home with my back hurting and a cooling fan no longer responding, I switched to a gaming laptop, and I have not regretted it. My current one is 6 years old and only recently has come across a game that I want to play that it can't handle.

Otherwise, the main issue with laptops tends to be overheating, so I make sure to use cooling pads under the laptops.

I am looking into laptops with high-end gear, i.e. 3080Ti and i9 and so on, and we WILL be using them for regular gaming mostly (don't need 100fps, just smooth enough) - but we also want VR.

The thing is, I am now paranoid between Windows and the Oculus application not knowing which card to use despite my settings, so I'd rather know which laptops people KNOW work.