cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why No Hand Tracking on the Rift S?

Sorry if this has been asked, i'm sure it has but i can't find it.

The Rift S has multiple cameras and plenty of power - why doesn't it have the hand tracking that the Quest has?

Will the next gen of Quest and Rift both have it from the outset - what's your thoughts?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
16 REPLIES 16

kojack
MVP
MVP
From a technical point of view, it should definitely be possible.
However, it wouldn't be possible to just use the same data to do it.

They used a machine learning system to recognise fingers from the Quests cameras. This means it was specifically trained for what the Quest sees. Every camera on the Rift-S is in a different position, so they'd have to retrain the system for the Rift-S.

It's possible they decided to only focus on the Quest while the feature is in Beta. It's still pretty glitchy and laggy. Having to keep updating a training model for two different camera setups is less efficient. So perhaps once it's working well they will start on the Rift-S version.

Or they just want people to buy the Quest more.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

The Rift S has multiple cameras and plenty of power - why doesn't it have the hand tracking that the Quest has?

Will the next gen of Quest and Rift both have it from the outset - what's your thoughts?

I assume FB want to sell the Quest so they might just use HT as a feature to add more value to buying a Quest, might just be that simple.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Yep, i'd considered the USP possibility but thought cable-free VR would have been good enough.  Still very much hoping that they add it to the Rift S soon.

Question, is there any difference in performance (for the hand tracking) when it is tethered or does it work exactly the same?

Thanks.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Do you mean tethered with the link cable? There's no finger tracking then, it becomes a Rift. The tracking only works in stand alone mode.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kojack said:

Do you mean tethered with the link cable? There's no finger tracking then, it becomes a Rift. The tracking only works in stand alone mode.

Yeah that's what i meant, cheers.

Rather annoying!

Splatman5426
Honored Guest

Hi I believe the real reason the quest has hand tracking is because like a console the oculus quest is a service and a good meaning if you purchace the quest you also have to buy games from oculus unlike the rift s where steam profits more

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Fundamentally its possible, but because of the focus of the operation, Oculus Quest has seen the key innovation with PSVR playing a second fiddle. I am sure that Lenovo would have loved to have had that added to the Rift-S. I am sure if the Lenovo partnership continues we will see a updated Rift-S-2.0 with hand-tracking, and all the other elements that were compromised from the original CV1 design.  
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

Fundamentally its possible, but because of the focus of the operation, Oculus Quest has seen the key innovation with PSVR playing a second fiddle. I am sure that Lenovo would have loved to have had that added to the Rift-S. I am sure if the Lenovo partnership continues we will see a updated Rift-S-2.0 with hand-tracking, and all the other elements that were compromised from the original CV1 design.  

Lenovo probably won't be bothered either way. The difference in sales wouldn't be that much if it did have it. They're getting a percentage in sales due to manufacturing the unit and the licencing for the head strap. They're probably not getting more than 8% of each sale, if that.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
Lenovo probably won't be bothered either way. The difference in sales wouldn't be that much if it did have it. They're getting a percentage in sales due to manufacturing the unit and the licencing for the head strap. They're probably not getting more than 8% of each sale, if that.

Have to agree @snowdog - the deal they signed up for on the PC VR side has not paid off for them to warrant any further expense (or consider a variant so soon). But it's interesting that the deal they signed up for was included the Solo Strap (while they get a licensing cut, they also have to pay Sony!)

I would say that they are getting slightly less than 8% (the software deal was included) - but would not quibble as the number is also merged into the separate money they get for the fabrication from one of their plans of Quest's!

Your right though, no margin in it to continue to support Rift-S unless there is a post-pandemic up swing before November. The numbers of 300,000+ units sold is just too low to consider as viable. The Quest Link was the killer blow, and a surprise they did not expect from their partner.

Either way, they seem to have got the sticky end of the stick, and seem to be backing out - working more on the news of their new investment in Varjo, and also a possible partnership with Samsung on a standalone system (that was obviously pre-pandemic!)
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959