cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people consider Oculus Rift as VR?

Melwei
Honored Guest
idk, maybe because the developer is called Oculus VR ? :shock:
24 REPLIES 24

falco
Honored Guest
what if everything we thought exists is only virtual reality?
and we´re all connected to the matrix!! :shock:

Markystal
Explorer
I've seen this kind of comment WAY too much. I think it stems from a poor understanding of what immersion is and how it is achieved. I run a channel that covers Virtual Reality and Sword Art Online, so I've heard this kind of comment a lot from people that tend to think we can only have virtual reality using a NerveGear styled device and that all other forms are inferior or not "real" virtual reality. I hate this angle as it's counterproductive towards the end goal and can cause more harm to the industry than good.

To put it simply, the Oculus Rift is considered a virtual reality item because it actively immerses a bodily sense to such a degree that it can't accept the regular reality equivalent. Vision is the Oculus Rift's area of coverage, so in so far as it's concerned, the Rift can replace reality in that area. Similarly, a good pair of headphones can do just the same for the auditory sense. If you feel that you need every single sense of the body immersed to have virtual reality, I can't really disparage your angle too much as indeed, every sense we don't have immersed is holding back immersion. However, I'm not sure I can care all that much when the power of Immersion the Rift alone provides is so IMMENSELY powerful.

Honestly, if you have not tried the Oculus Rift, it's possible to make such comments. I who have DK2, can attest that the sensation of immersion is dream like in many respects and that taking the Rift off makes me feel as though I've woken up from a dream. I think the addition of a few more senses (touch, equilibrioception, proprioception, kinesthesia, pressure, etc.) and a proper full body control system will probably be enough to push immersion over the edge and render the experience of virtual reality powerful enough to near completely ignore the regular body. Consider it my angle, but it's just what I've come to after going into virtual reality with as much thought as I have over the past 2 years.

I plan on making a video on the Sword Art Online NerveGear on my channel ("Virtual Dreamers"/selfpromotion>) angle to once and for all get the picture clear for that generation since I am TIRED of seeing these kinds of comments all over the place. It's as though the ones saying these things are spoiled children that want to skip the gradual growth into a more complete experience just because they saw something awesome in a TV show. How catastrophic would it have been if people refused to buy video games until they looked and played at a photoreal level after seeing tron? The NES would have failed and the video game landscape would be FAR different from what it is today. We must remember that most things don't come out swinging right out of the gate. The iPhone didn't have apps till around 2008 IIRC, games didn't really go 3d until the PS1/N64 era, 4K is starting to make it's debut in the mainstream conscious (sort of...), and thus, why do we expect VR to be 100% immersive right out of the gate? Quite frankly, I think we need this kind of a learning period right now to properly grasp what exactly it's capable of. We wouldn't want someone getting a heart attack and dying as a headline for our medium now would we?\

I'll just have to ask kabirgph, "What do you think Virtual Reality is?" I was going to ask if you've used an Oculus Rift, but your post history implies that you have, which really just makes me wonder even more what you're thinking about. I'm a VR advocate and I want to push this medium to its limits so understanding what are actually expecting out of it is something very much of interest to me.

I don't want to jump to the conclusion that you're a troll or be sarcastic as other here have since I see this kind of opinion ALL the time, but I honestly can't blame them for their tone. You can expect this kind of response when you ask a question like that on the OculusVR forums. It's like asking why an iPhone is considered a smartphone in the apple forums. It depends on your definition of smartphone and one way or another, you aren't going to get a good reply if you don't explain yourself a bit more properly. I hope you'll do so since I'd like to think that writing this post out hasn't been a waste of my time.

saviornt
Protege
"Wireline" wrote:
Oculus Rift should be reclassified as fruit

You almost hit the nail on the head, although, the Rift should be classified as a pi. Then we can all be happy.
Current WIPs using Unreal Engine 4: Agrona - Tales of an Era: Medieval Fantasy MORPG

sbnewsom
Honored Guest
VR: Immitation of Reality. Whether a prototype or full immersion. VR is VR. 😛
-Stuart Bradley Newsom HS-51XXXXX Mar 21, 2014 01:09 AM PDT DELIVERED Portfolio: http://sbnewsom.com Facebook: Click Here

JoshuaJSlone
Expert Protege
Something I think is important is that while Rift is primarily about visuals (though now they're getting into sound to go with it), for most people the visual is an overriding sense. What you think you're seeing can affect what you think you're feeling, hearing, smelling, or tasting.