cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it be possible to de-associate "Meta" accounts from Facebook accounts? [Answered]

mcc
Expert Protege

I was happy to see the policy change announced today where "Meta accounts" will now be allowed as an alternative to Facebook accounts for Oculus stuff. However, I am wondering: During the period Facebook accounts were required, I already transitioned my personal/developer Oculus account to a Facebook account so I could activate a Quest 2. When "Meta accounts" become available, will it be possible to "de-Facebook" my account and convert to a "pure" Meta account? Asked a different way, will accounts that were temporarily a Facebook account on the way from being an "Oculus" account to a "Meta" account be subject to technical or legal conditions (say, web-wide cookie tracking via Facebook Pixel, or application of the Facebook TOS) that pure-"Meta" accounts created after August 2022 are not?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mcc
Expert Protege

Sorry, I see my question was answered in the exact link I posted! I should have read more carefully.

"If you previously merged your Oculus developer account with your Facebook account, you will have the option to remove your Facebook account from your Meta account; however, if you’re using App Ads you’ll need to set up your Meta account using Facebook to continue publishing ads."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MrBluePlaydoh
Protege

This is a bad idea and i will be now selling my headset i dont want facebook or a meta account or what ever you want to call it!

mcc
Expert Protege

Sorry, I see my question was answered in the exact link I posted! I should have read more carefully.

"If you previously merged your Oculus developer account with your Facebook account, you will have the option to remove your Facebook account from your Meta account; however, if you’re using App Ads you’ll need to set up your Meta account using Facebook to continue publishing ads."

There's very little difference between an Oculus account and a Meta account. It was the requirement to use a Facebook account which caused all the problems, because people get banned from Facebook for seemingly arbitrary reasons and then lose the use of their hardware and apps.

The Oculus account already knows who you are and where you live, if you've ever entered a payment method.

Oculus account isn’t social media! Not like meta/Facebook! How do you not no the difference? Wow!

i don’t want to have a social media account with these scum bags simple as that! Don’t worry I’m getting a valve index much better anyway! 

cmat100
Adventurer

uploadvr.PNG

Taken from : https://uploadvr.com/quest-2-no-longer-requires-facebook/

I'm still mulling this over in my grey matter,  but so far, I'm not seeing any downsides to this.    It allows you to totally decouple from FB Social Media,  but also allows you to associate your FB account, if you wish.

Yeh I have several concerns.

That the compulsory associated Horizon account will be used as a way to lock people out of our legally owned headsets and the use of our legally purchased software due to some ethereal claim we have violated terms of service for example criticizing the company on any publicly accessible internet site? There really isn't any good reason for membership of a social platform to be compulsory. Another suspicion I have is that it is a way to artificially inflate the appearance that their Horizons platform is successful? With the possible exception of the theft of IP the data mining angle doesn't bother me as frankly I would prefer better targeted adds. I don't do social VR, not even multiplayer stuff and if I did there are better options than the sterile inhumane platform the company in charge is pushing. I have asked for clarification on whether I will be able to continue using my headset and games privately without joining their social media platform but so far?

I disagree.

It's requires membership of a social platform administered by the same company that can be used as an excuse to lock us out of our headsets and the use of our games?