cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the Oculus work if you are out in broad daylight?

RedWorm
Honored Guest
As the topic says, can you use the Oculus outside with the sun?
I was thinking of using it with my hammock and lie on my stomach while flying around in Hawken.
Probably the cheapest anti gravity simulator 😄
13 REPLIES 13

ganzuul
Honored Guest
I don't see a reason... Why wouldn't it?

RedWorm
Honored Guest
"ganzuul" wrote:
I don't see a reason... Why wouldn't it?

It doesn't seem right to me, being outside and gaming 😛
Normally you would have the sun reflection in the screen and making it hard.

KuraIthys
Honored Guest
lol. Well, given that the display is more or less hermetically sealed to your face, the ambient light conditions should, in principle, have no effect whatsoever.

Then again, depending on how well made it is, you might get some light leaking in in places, but I doubt it.

Crespo80
Explorer
maybe some light leakinf from around the nose

anyway, why not just moving the hammock inside the house, trees included of course :mrgreen:

ArneOdland
Honored Guest
“Going outside is highly overrated.”
Anarak's Almanac 17:32
― Ernest Cline, Ready Player One

Aside from that, the nose gap could be blocked with some cloth.

And, if everything suddenly goes dark in the display, you might want to get up from your nap in the hammock and chase down the person stealin' your rig.

I like the hammock idea. I was thinking about using a waterproof and wireless Oculus Rift in the future in an "isolation tank". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_tank for relaxation and visualization. The movie, Altered States (1980) had some interesting devices for "out-of-body experiences".

Marvn
Honored Guest
I've always pictured that we would one day have glasses/goggles that would allow us to work and play outside. And Oculus kind of gets us there. So I will definitely do this with my notebook when I get mine.

I guess watching movies or work is out of the question at the moment, since the resolution is not high enough. But with later models, why not?

Then they would have to add an UV-sensor as well, so that it warns you do go inside before you get a sunburn 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
I use the Rift all the time in the office, and I'm sitting right by the window with lots of sun. No problems here.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

atavener
Adventurer
"RedWorm" wrote:

I was thinking of using it with my hammock and lie on my stomach while flying around in Hawken.

I wonder how long it would take you to realize when it's raining. 😉

Gerald
Expert Protege
Rift_outdoors.png

not a real quote though :lol:
check out my Mobile VR Jam 2015 title Guns N' Dragons