JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
This thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM7aviAhxG4

Would you buy it?
94 REPLIES 94

bigmike20vt
Visionary
£700 or under for complete system (with hand tracking maybe £500 just for hmd)

This is assuming a genuine 4k shared between 2 eyes resolution which I think is the least we can expect
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

cybernettr
Superstar
If this image from Oculus gives an accurate impression, it should be a stunning improvement. I would say the field of view is quite good now, so if it’s this much better, it seems it would be hard to notice that you have a headset on at all. 

tljq6bdav37l.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to say yes - and if I had the money I would in a second. But currently I just bought the Rift a little over 4 months ago, so I could not justify it.

So I put maybe - depending on the price. lol

bigmike20vt
Visionary
I have had my rift since launch so have had my monies worth and more..... I also have some cash aside for essential purchases like plumbing disasters, roof collapses and car insurance claims....,. What better use of the emergency rainy day fund than a new vr hmd 😉
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Depends on resolution (haven't seen it mentioned anywhere), if it doesn't substantially improve image quality then my interest goes way down.

nrosko
Superstar
This unit is several years away so I don't see the point of the question.  

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
Variable focus, in its current form, I'm not convinced is gong to be next gen. Maybe next-next gen. 140 degree FOV, though, almost certainly. The next Rift will use those optics if they've sufficiently squashed the distortion and chromatic aberration issues, because there's just no good reason not to. And I totally would buy another Rift today with the current screen resolution if they expanded the FOV to 140 degrees.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

nrosko said:

This unit is several years away so I don't see the point of the question.  

If this unit got released today with all the technology that the prototypes above showcase, and within a pricepoint of $800-$1200., it would be a rage purchase for sure. ( Depending on reviews offcourse ).

Unfortunately, like you im not that much of an opportunist and understand your point of view.

https://www.vrandfun.com/oculus-half-dome-140-degrees-fov-prototype-headset-showcases-next-steps-fac...
What we have to consider is that the Half Dome is just a prototype
for now. But Oculus will most likely be basing their Oculus Rift 2
headset off of these features and new technology. As far as the release
date for the Oculus Rift 2 headset, that is probably going to be at
least 2 years from now when technology has improved a bit more within
the VR industry.

But this sort of innovation shows how fast everything is advancing
within the VR industry. It’s quite exciting to see the jumps from just
the past 2 years and we look forward to seeing the new innovations.

Be good, die great !

Zenbane
MVP
MVP