cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your experiences: Cybersickness/Presence research 2016

Mattp0
Honored Guest
Hi All,
I am a PhD student in the UK am will be looking into the Oculus Rift with state of the art EEG and eye tracking equipment.

My aim is to improve presence, which involves solving many sub-categories such as cybersickness and bodily attachments.

I am kindly asking for your negative experiences with ONLY the DK2 and the consumer version (when it is out), your side affects, and how you feel your experiences could be improved.

This is just for me to get an in depth and individualistic idea of peoples experiences to help with research ideas.

Also, if you could make the gaming experience better, what would you like to add/change/use?

Thanks all!!!!
20 REPLIES 20

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Any sort of sickness I have felt is when the screen does something that doesn't match your physical head movement. Cameras taking control of your point of view, juddering, positional tracking lagging, or anything else that causes the screen to not match what your eyes expect to see.

Another thing that has caused me a little discomfort are movements on the screen that your body expects g-forces to accompany. Standing up seems to magnify this issue, and I have been able to get used to the lack of g-forces when seated. The Windlands demo is a great test for this issue. When using the grappling hooks to swing, your brain expects g-forces and tries to compensate for them with physical body movements. If you are standing when this happens, it throws off your balance.

The best experiences allow you to control the point of view completely and run with a high and stable frames per second, so the entire experience is smooth.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Mattp0
Honored Guest
Thankyou for your help!

As you may or may not know, when your body does not move the same way as the reality you view, there is mismatch between your visual system and vestibular system. Can i ask, have/do you ever get motion/travel sickness as this is very similar? Research is ongoing towards the links between individuals previous sickness occurences and the negative effects like you described when using the Rift.

Thanks again!

Mattp0
Honored Guest
Hi all,

Im having many responses via facebook too. Please post your experiences with the HMD's and what you would like improving. I will also gladly try to answer any questions from a cognitive neuroscientific perspective involving virtual reality in general.

Thanks again!

VrSponge
Expert Protege
I brought up years ago how IMO sickness is tied to presence. This means when the sickness goes away so does presence. I've had a dk1 for over a year and haven't felt presence sense the first two months. I'm not trying to bash Oculus I'm just being honest. For me they died together..

kernow
Heroic Explorer
I get motion sickness if my real-life head does not match turning in VR. I mostly avoid getting motion sickness in VR by standing and turning in spot, or using a swivel chair when turning.

In the real world, I get motion sickness, too, but only from cyclical up-and-down movements (hilly roads, for example) or some strong magnetic fields. Horizontal rotation in the real world doesn't seem to bother me in that respect.

Only in VR do I get motion sickness from horizontal rotation, and only when it does not match real world head turning. People have mentioned judder or low (less than 60) frame rates causing motion sickness, but those haven't bothered me that much (those are more just visual annoyances to me).

genetransfer
Explorer
Initially I only got a bit of mental distortion from 360 video (but have acclimated now due to excessive testing and a few tweaks). I just make sure i limit my movement to head turning in 360 video. other than that, dk2 positional tracking is spot on for me now so I don't get any ill effects so not much to contribute.so lack of AAA and indie content and crappy hardware is all that stands between me and vr bliss :).

schmeltzer
Protege
If have experienced motion sickness when, like others have stated above, your body/head is in a different position in the real world compared to the virtual world. E.g. in the game Alien Isolation the horizon is most of the time crooked when compared to the head. Also, if you move in a straight line and start looking to the left/or right while walking forward, in-game you move into the direction you are looking at. That is VERY uncomfortable. Unfortunately, that is the default behaviour of every First Person game out there. Decoupling head-position and movement in VR is crutial in my opinion, as they are decoupled (thank god!) in real life too.

Another thing is the precense of jitter/jatter/lagging/tracking-lag etc.

In real life I cannot remember ever being motion sick apart from some experiences in Entertainment Parks as a child.

Mattp0
Honored Guest
Thankyou for the feedback! it seems the visual - vestibular contrast is the biggest flaw when playing.

There has been many people who say that they had similar sickness to the previous posts, but over time have gaines their "cyberlegs", taken from "Sealegs" from sea sickness, but applied to cybersickness.

Has anyone had the experience of cybersickness but has gradually got used to the Rift? If so, what do you thing changed when you played the game?

Again thankyou for the replies, any part of your experience is good as it help me to choose the most important area to solve and what users feel is the key issue.

schmeltzer
Protege
"Mattp0" wrote:
Thankyou for the feedback! it seems the visual - vestibular contrast is the biggest flaw when playing.

There has been many people who say that they had similar sickness to the previous posts, but over time have gaines their "cyberlegs", taken from "Sealegs" from sea sickness, but applied to cybersickness.

Has anyone had the experience of cybersickness but has gradually got used to the Rift? If so, what do you thing changed when you played the game?

Again thankyou for the replies, any part of your experience is good as it help me to choose the most important area to solve and what users feel is the key issue.

Yes, I got 'sealegs' after playing in VR. There are 2 things I did when playing:

1. I try not to look around too much when moving. Look around when your standing still.
2. Whenever I start to feel simsickness kick in, quit and let is pass away. When it's gone immediate start playing again. (fastest way to get rid of it for me)