cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't toggle Direct Display Mode

arcon
Explorer
Hey,

ive used the search engine but didnt find any thread - (if you search for direct display mode you find tousands of threads.)

the thing is - i cant switch the display modes - its just "greyed out" like you can see in the picture...

has anybody got that problem ? is there any correction to that ?

The Rift is Extend set in the Resolution Center from Windows 8

im using win8 with my system (see in signature)

DK2 Info: Order ID: FM-1042XXX | Date: Mar 19, 2014 09:53 AM PDT | Status: Delivered (04.08)
16 REPLIES 16

arcon
Explorer
ay, just for your information:

ive Reinstalled Windows (because i reinstall it every year and the time was now !) and now it works properly without any issues.
DK2 Info: Order ID: FM-1042XXX | Date: Mar 19, 2014 09:53 AM PDT | Status: Delivered (04.08)

Gypsy816
Expert Protege
"arcon" wrote:
ay, just for your information:

ive Reinstalled Windows (because i reinstall it every year and the time was now !) and now it works properly without any issues.

Good to hear. 🙂
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!

Marconi
Explorer
Anyone found a solution to this? apart from reinstalling windows? I have this problem on my Macbook pro retina 2013.
APPLE LOVE iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, iMac GTX 970, 16GB, Water-cooled MONSTER.

fenrok
Honored Guest
Wel i have have clean windows 8 for rift and i have never got direct mode to work. Can anyone put some kind of guide what to do pls? i have nvidia btw

fenrok
Honored Guest
LMAO i have had dk2 for weeks (ordered in first day) and thought that direct mode wasn't working cause light was orange and not green like in extended mode but i just tried to fire up demo with orange light on and it changed to green and everything worked well. sucks to be dumb :roll:

EddieWattz
Honored Guest
I'm in the same situation. Recieved my rift a day ago and spent the entire day disabling, enabling, rebooting along with a few prayers and nothing works. I've gotten most demos working but the box for the oculus tray utility is always stuck greyed out on extended mode. I'm running a gtx 770 and reinstalling windows isn't a viable option.

A quick question. Does Direct Mode actually result in a smoother / lower latency image than it being selected as extended mode while vsynced (using the nvidia adapative vsync option) at 75 fps?

Sporky
Explorer
I'd hate to admit how long it took me to figure this out, but perhaps it will help someone else. I had been using Direct Mode and all was fine until I disconnected the computer to vacuum out some dust. After reconnecting everything I could not get Direct Mode to work. Tried "everything!" Turns out I had connected my primary monitor to my second video card. (I'm running 5 monitors plus a projector: "ADHD mode." ) Putting the primary monitor and the Rift on the same card fixed it for me. Could be coincidence, hard to say, this is all a bit of a mess at the moment. I would be happy to see extended mode go away completely...