Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eVGA GTX 1080 FTW £589, ASUS Strix £597 @ Amazon.co.uk

mambo1888
Rising Star
EDIT:

Prices have now increased.

For those unsure whether to pre order or not, these are now available to pre order on amazon.co.uk, and at decent prices. Amazon dont take money until dispatched so might be a good way to pre order for those unsure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GBX86U0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G92E9ZY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
14 REPLIES 14

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I'm pushing about 10% gains overclocking my Founders Edition now at 4K res. I saw one OEM advert that was claiming 7% gains over the Founders Edition (stock). Nvidia has now stated on the Geoforce forums they are working on a driver update to fix the fan issue as well. Aside from the price difference (and let's be fair here, it's not by much) I'm not going to be made to feel bad for getting the stock version even if some people love to spell doom and gloom for making such purchases.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

mambo1888
Rising Star

I'm pushing about 10% gains overclocking my Founders Edition now at 4K res. I saw one OEM advert that was claiming 7% gains over the Founders Edition (stock). Nvidia has now stated on the Geoforce forums they are working on a driver update to fix the fan issue as well. Aside from the price difference (and let's be fair here, it's not by much) I'm not going to be made to feel bad for getting the stock version even if some people love to spell doom and gloom for making such purchases.

It wasn't posted to make you or anyone else who got a FE card, feel bad. Not sure where you got that from. I ordered a FE card myself but it was delayed so I ended up pre ordering a Strix as its got the two HDMI ports. Id seen a few folk on here say they were waiting on the eVGA FTW and thought this was a really good price, not to mention they don't take money until they dispatch which might be a good thing for people who aren't sure if they want to upgrade or not.

Glad to hear your getting a decent gain, and the updated drivers will only improve the stability. Are you starting to see a better performance in VR compared to the 980ti or do you think it will only come into its own in future releases/updates designed to utilise the VR specific features?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
It wasn't directed at you or this post Mambo, just a general sentiment from various folks who call people all sorts of names for buying the stock versions of GPUs.

Edit: I've still not had time to test how well VR games hold up.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

mambo1888
Rising Star

It wasn't directed at you or this post Mambo, just a general sentiment from various folks who call people all sorts of names for buying the stock versions of GPUs.

Edit: I've still not had time to test how well VR games hold up.

Ah sorry bud, picked you up wrong. Yeah I don't really see the problem myself, each to there own and all that, I would have quite happily kept the FE if hadn't been delayed. 

Lemming1970
Rising Star

Nothing wrong with stock versions. Personally I prefer the exhaust system over the multi fan system. I switched from 2 GTX970 multi fan to a single 980Ti ref. system is much cooler throwing all the hot air out the back.

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I've been checking New Egg and Amazon constantly for updates on the third-party 1080s. I was looking at the STRIX, but I think I'm leaning back towards the EVGA SC.

I like the open-air coolers for my full-size case, but I'll definitely be going for a blower-type cooler (either FE or a cheaper copycat third-party) when I put a 1070 into my livingroom Home Theater PC. It's built in a pretty compact case, and definitely needs to expel the heat out the back.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

mambo1888
Rising Star
I made a pre order on one of each (cancelled my pre orders with OC and Scan) I just noticed that the price has gone up on both. The eVGA has gone up to £608.99 and the Asus up to £659.99, do you think Amazon will honour the prices that I ordered, would be annoyed if they didnt as I cancelled the Asus on OC and Aria which was cheaper than Amazons new price and I made the other pretty quick so should have been near the front of the que.

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
I ordered an FTW for £590 on Ebuyer.com and the price on Ebuyer has now gone up to £599, but my order page is still showing them charging me £590, so hopefully other places will be the same and stick to their price at the time of ordering. 

mambo1888
Rising Star
I hope so, the only reason I cancelled the pre orders I had was because Amazon was cheaper so I didn't mind dropping back in the queue a little bit. The eVGA is not bad only gone up about £20 but the Asus has gone up by over £60.  

Time will tell I guess, my Order still has the price that I ordered.