cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMac Pro IS Out Now, What's Up Oculus???

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, Oculus, Apple has an ultra-compatible product available to the streets now. No more dodging with "if-then" scenarios about macOS. When will Oculus develop the macOS platform? I could almost guarantee it will run better on an iMac Pro than a comparably configured PC. 
64 REPLIES 64

falken76
Expert Consultant

zboson said:

Morgrum said:

Who the F games on an apple product?

iPhone + iPad has outsold the PC market for multiple quarters now. Tens of millions of people are likely playing games on their iPhones/iPads now. If someone told me more people gamed with an Apple product than on a Microsoft product I would not be surprised (I don't know the numbers) but I certainly would be less surprised on an Android device. Android is based on the Linux Kernel so both iOS and the Linux kernel dominate for playing games now.

In fact if it was not for the smart phone brave new world revolution/dystopia started by Apple the Rift may not even exist in the first place.

I hate all mobile games, they suck.  I have no clue if rift would exist or not, I know VR has been an interest for the tech industry for decades before App stores even existed.  I don't agree that Rift would not be around without Apple and Android app store games.  I don't even see a correlation.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Came here to get some advice on configuring a system for working with Oculus but I get the feeling Mac users are not welcome here.

This is exactly why I love this forum, it's like an old BBS.  These are just simple flame wars and people on here don't get out of hand and ruin things.  Someone mentions that a properly configured mac pro could out perform a similarly powered PC for VR?!  Our PC Nerd Rage alarm went off and people got triggered, no safe spaces or trigger warnings here.  🙂  It's all in good fun.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
fmtlijb89zyt.jpg
WAAAGH!

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
Anyone who has tried to game on any Mac in the last 10 years knows it's not a good idea.  The form factor and restricted air intakes in the iMac Pro follow the trend of severely compromised cooling systems in Macs.  All Macs are like this.  The result is that if you max the system it overheats and develops graphical artifacts.  I have observed this on many Mac systems.

The iMac Pro may have decent hardware but the cooling is shit so don't you dare try to actually use that hardware.  If you insist on maxing the hardware then at the very least you need to dremel out the air intake.  Opening up the air intake is enough to fix the cooling in most Macs.

PIXELATED
Adventurer

As a Mac user, this is how I solved the problem. I bought a Mac Mini, a PC capable of running VR, a wireless keyboard and a Dell monitor. Now when I want to get some work done I boot up the Mac and when I want want to go into VR I boot up the PC. Not the cheapest solution, admittedly, but it works!

Same here o:) I use my Mac for 'work' (earning a living) = photo/video editing, writing, email, web use etc
I then built a Windoze machine for Oculus and gaming and use it for nothing else, ever!

Reason; I don't want to have to keep updating all my software inc; patches and security to run a Bill Gates machine and feel more comfortable for "work' on my Mac with regards to virus etc. Plus when i turn it on it just does what it did the last time I worked on it.
When I turn the PC on it downloads all the necessary but hey it's got to do that to make it function so I can escape from work to 'play' - no probs if the kettle works! 

opengl-for-os-x-and-d3d-for-windows
In case anyone is interested just search the above ^ in bold on Google for reasons why Bill Gate's machines like gamers and info Apple's Open GL phylosophy, D3D and directx etc etc oh and Vulcan and Linux too!

The mac v PC squabble is just sooo boring and encourages ignorance on both sides. I don't care if my mine is bigger than someone elses, it's just about how much fun and what you do with it that counts B)   
Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Mac  vs  PC is seriously dated.
They are both the same in regards to components.
Its the OS, inflated price for said components, and streamlined cool looking cases with heat issues that is the problem.

I laugh at folks who tell me they bought Alienware also.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
One handy tip: don't put a Mac drive in a PC. I did this (after bending a panel on the drive to get to the connections if I'm remembering correctly) and the bloody thing caught fire lol 😮 😄 😄 😄

It was a spare drive from work so I 'liberated' it.

Managed to put the fire out pretty quickly but it took some internal IDE cables and power cables with it. Yup, IDE. It was THAT long ago. Early 2000s.

cybernettr
Superstar
Sometime in the 2020s, the Mac/PC OS wars will be rendered irrelevant, but for now I just accept that Macs are best for certain things and PCs are best for other things. 

Im more curious about when high end VR rigs will shed their umbilical cord and allow wireless HMD/PC interfacing. 

zboson
Superstar

falken76 said:

I don't agree that Rift would not be around without Apple and Android app store games.  I don't even see a correlation.

I'm referring to smart phone hardware (not the games), especially the high resolution screens and internal inertial measurement unit (IMU). As far as I understand this, along with simple optics and software corrections of chromatic aberrations and pincushion distortion is what ushered in modern affordable HMDs. However, the Rift in the end used its own IMU (so does the Gear VR) and two screens and Fresnel lenses so I'm not sure how much it benefited from smart phones except for low cost high resolution screens that became available because of the mass production of smart phones. The DK2 I think probably benefited more from smart phones than the Rift which may have been why it was much cheaper. The DK2 was great.

TravisPNW
Adventurer

danknugz said:

i love when people confuse the fact that  apple focuses on making products easier for idiots to use with actual superior engineering

If Apple actually made an iMac with the specs I was looking for I might have considered it... at least until I realized it would have been a $10k computer and then I would have been like "Nah, I'll just build it myself."

Has anyone seen the garbage specs you get on a $3k iMac?  LOL

I do own an iPhone 8 Plus and iPad Pro 12.9"... as someone else said it's the Macs that are garbage... at least IMHO when you look at it from a "value for your money" perspective.
LG CX OLED 48 / i9 10900k / RTX 3090 FE / 64GB / 3x 2TB 970 Evo Plus / Oculus Quest 2 256GB