cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

its just a novelty

fifteenfingers
Honored Guest
Having spent a month using the Rift I can say Its just a novelty at the moment. The graphics are HORRIBLE its uncomfortable your contently having to re adjust it. I don't get sim sickness which is nice but maybe when the fov is 220 degrees and the visual quality seems as good as a 1440 p monitor we might have something but right now im finding I want to use it less and less for gaming. Lets see in 5 years what VR has to offer

Games played in the Rift.
Elite dangerous: Cockpits have great scale, visuals beyond 100 feet suffer, sometimes you cant make out what ship it is
Project cars: Easier to drive but the scale seems a little small even with world adjustments 
Aero fly fs2: excellent cockpit presence. scale just a little on the smallish side tried adjustments. dismal terrain  
Valkyrie: probably over all the best experience 

33 REPLIES 33

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
To each his own, ive had it since July and I'm still using it.  Not as much as ive completed most of the content that I want.  But I still get down on some cards

shim2
Adventurer
iRacing, IMO, is the best thing for VR right now. Especially if you have a dedicated rig.

CoteDazur
Protege
I have had my DK2 since August and contrary to your experience I am not interested any more by anything if it is not in VR. I mostly use it with AC and PCars. It will improve, but even as is it a too good to miss.

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
How can you say it's just a novelty when you have Elite Dangerous? Without VR you can't track other ships in the windows as they fly around your ship. That's improved gameplay there.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Having spent a month using the Rift I can say Its just a novelty at the moment.

Having spent 6 months with the Rift I can say that it is more than just a novelty at the moment. Especially considering that Virtual Reality is much more than just about video games. But if you need to limit your experience to video games, then you should at least play through Chronos, Dreadhalls, and Dead Secret, at a bare minimum.

Right now I spend more time using my Rift to showcase 360 Real Estate, and it compliments very well with Mobile VR. Not to mention being able to use applications like Virtual Desktop and BigScreen, which further extend VR activities beyond mere gaming.

falken76
Expert Consultant
Are the graphics bad?  They seem very good to me depending on what it is.  I like my rift even though I don't use it much.  I have elite and I can see everything pretty well in there.  I guess to each their own.  A practical use I've found for it is my friend and I use Big Screen to help each other out when we get stuck in something we're working on in solidworks or photoshop.  We can show each other how to do certain things and it actually works well for this.

GtAwyFrmMyRamen
Adventurer
The longer I've had my rift the more I've been wanting to exclusively use it with games. I'm paying less and less attention to 2d releases and getting excited about VR releases.

kojack
MVP
MVP
If he has fifteen fingers, maybe he has an abnormal number of eyes too? That would affect rift use.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

SadGamerDad
Heroic Explorer
Novelty?   As has been said, it alters how you play a game. I still geek out over being able to lean and look through windows, under desks, around corners etc...   Looking down and seeing a body and hands moving in front of me sells the fantasy to my brain and eventually I got wrapped up in the story of games like Dead Secret, Edge of Nowhere, Chronos, Eagle Flight to name a few. I have yet to try elite dangerous but the idea of flying around space in my own ship sounds pretty cool.