cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leap motion - poor man's touch emulator

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
I just got my hands on leap motion controller (ebay ~$23).
I plan to use it in alt-space to see how wonderful it feels to have hands in a game.
I will 3d print myself a chest plate tonight for mounting the leap motion controller.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
18 REPLIES 18

Expt626
Protege
you are suppose to mount leap motion on the oculus rift

Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah leap motion is great for alt space!

However you want to mount it like @Expt626 said.

Thingiverse appears to be down at the moment so I cant send you a link but just search for 'CV1 leap motion'. I've 3D printed my own mount that works pretty well.

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
I already tested it by holding it to my chest. It works the same if you mount it to your headset or chest.
The advantage of chest mounting is that you don't have to put your hands in front of your face or mess up your headset.
Disadvantage is that you can not turn your face and and expect your hands to be tracked without turning your body.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

kojack
MVP
MVP
All current Leap compatible vr software assumes that the leap is mounted to the rift. None of them will know that the leap is on your chest so they can adjust the position of your hands. It also can't track movement of the leap, so moving your head around will move your hands when they aren't really moving (the software will assume that when your head moves, the leap should be moving too).
Unless you plan on only using software you write yourself, placing the leap on your chest is a really bad idea.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

pjenness
Rising Star
Altspace + Leap Motion is great!!! Its funny making hand signal to the vive wand people and them wondering HUH??
Looking forward to see how touch works in it. Does any one know if the Altspace crew have Devved for Touch?

Someone in it had a full body tracking (Perception suit I think it was called) that looked amazing. He could do dancing ad martial arts movies.

-P
Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

kojack
MVP
MVP
That would be the Perception Neuron.
I've got one at work, it's pretty cool. 🙂 I haven't tried it with VR yet. (We use it for mocap)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Expt626
Protege

I already tested it by holding it to my chest. It works the same if you mount it to your headset or chest.

The advantage of chest mounting is that you don't have to put your hands in front of your face or mess up your headset.

Disadvantage is that you can not turn your face and and expect your hands to be tracked without turning your body.

agree with @kojack.

Afaik, Leap api assumes that you mount your leap motion device on a vr hmd. Leap doesn't guarantee that all its hand tracking algorithm will still work as intended if it is chest mounted. You probably have to do your own testing or rewrite your own hand tracking algorithm.

SerVitor
Expert Protege
How many games does Leap Motion work with?  Can you use it with FSX ?  (ie use hands to flick controls, switches in the game?)  I'm pretty interested in getting one just not sure how well supported it is or will likely to be (more a gimmick?)
i5-4690k 16 gig Ram Win 7 64bit 8 gig ZOTAC AMP EDITION GTX1080

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not supported in a lot of games, it's mostly demo's from leap motion store and then it's supported in social apps like AltSpace. 

Some people have also got it working with SteamVR as motion controllers