cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

planning to upgrade my graphics card+CPU for CV1, questions.

Username123
Honored Guest
hello,

my current graphics card is an ATI 5850 and my CPU is Intel Q9550
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im planning to upgrade my graphics card & CPU at some point in the future..

planning on

-GTX980 / GTX970 (especially for CV1 in mind) not sure which one should I buy..
-and an Intel CPU (8 cores)...open to suggestions

my budget for a graphics card and for a CPU each is 500$ at max.

now Ive a few questions :

1) should I upgrade it now or should I wait for CV1 to come out and then upgrade it? (which is 1+- year away, by then it will be cheaper.. but ive my DK2 for like 2 weeks and most games I run has lag/stutter..)

2) should I get the GTX 970 or GTX 980? does the GTX 980 worth the extra price..? not sure.

3) is there any 8 core CPU on the horizon? (with a reasonable/affordable price tag ofcoarse..?)

thanks in advance.
13 REPLIES 13

Paul33993
Honored Guest
"Username123" wrote:
"Callezetter" wrote:
There will some real bargains on the old gpus now. And i would buy a used GPU from last gen. They will be very cheap soon, when ppl want to sell off their stuff. So there are good upgrade paths from your 5850 on the cheap now. But I would save the big buck until CV1 acutally hits. Youll get so much more performance/$ that way.

On the other hand, if its like nvidia claim and they solved VR SLI for real, 970x2 will be something to think of too. Get one now and nr2 later when CV1 ships. Nvidia have however always been undisputed kings of marketing. So I would wait a few weeks to see some reach VR bencmarks/test before going on that train. Also Oculus Connect might reveal how real nvidias claims are. If their VR Direct is a true collaboration with Oculus, it will really shine.

question is what card/CPU is really going to be necessary for running games/demos smooth enough in CV1..(its average of 120 FPS in CV1 I think?) and SLI..no thanks from my experience its a bad idea to go for SLI setup, it has its issues and best thing is to get always just 1 card, its more stable costs less ussually and have less problems or issues.

I'd wait to see what the real deal is. Because right now, with the way 3D is rendered, it's being done in an incredibly wasteful way. If they're doing what many suspect, it'll mean it's effectively halving your rendering requirements. SLI could very well be the future standard for VR. Devil is in the details of course. But it'll be very interesting to see what this is about. I suspect Douglas Lanman's cryptic comment a while ago (about a major performance breakthrough) is related to this. He used to be at Nvidia after all.

z6
Explorer
My idiot optimus laptop (which I confess I still love), the prospect of Gear vr, and now this. This (Nvidia 900 series and vr features) sounds simply wonderful.

The technical and business integration is astonishing.

The only reason I didn't want to go sli was the rift. I think the general consensus on the 900 cards is that they're teriffic but not revolutionary, and Moore's law isn't in place.

But these reviews are always from a "I already have a Titan, is this better?"

I look at the specs and features of these gpus and they are a wonder. My kid was after me to go sli and I was fighting him off with mature speeches about stable systems and sli microstutters (of which I have only heard, never witnessed) and driver problems.

I'd like to hear something official from Oculus. How is the sli experience? Tell us, we trust you.

When will the Nvidia drivers be enabled for these features?

This is very exciting. At worst I can strap a non-tower PC to my back and lug it into people's offices and plant wires upon them.

Then, I can shove my phone into Gear vr and take them even further into the future. It is a generational leap in a single move.

This is a beautiful thing to watch unfold.

These new video solutions look the real deal. A marvel. This is all going so fast. How on earth did they do it?

Really, what a coup for Oculus and what a prospect.

Paul33993
Honored Guest
"z6" wrote:
My idiot optimus laptop (which I confess I still love), the prospect of Gear vr, and now this. This (Nvidia 900 series and vr features) sounds simply wonderful.

The technical and business integration is astonishing.

The only reason I didn't want to go sli was the rift. I think the general consensus on the 900 cards is that they're teriffic but not revolutionary, and Moore's law isn't in place.

But these reviews are always from a "I already have a Titan, is this better?"

I look at the specs and features of these gpus and they are a wonder. My kid was after me to go sli and I was fighting him off with mature speeches about stable systems and sli microstutters (of which I have only heard, never witnessed) and driver problems.

I'd like to hear something official from Oculus. How is the sli experience? Tell us, we trust you.

When will the Nvidia drivers be enabled for these features?

This is very exciting. At worst I can strap a non-tower PC to my back and lug it into people's offices and plant wires upon them.

Then, I can shove my phone into Gear vr and take them even further into the future. It is a generational leap in a single move.

This is a beautiful thing to watch unfold.

These new video solutions look the real deal. A marvel. This is all going so fast. How on earth did they do it?

Really, what a coup for Oculus and what a prospect.

Guys like Carmack are being strangely silent about this on twitter. I suspect they have their fingerprints all over this and we'll hear more about it tomorrow during Oculus Connect.

investman
Honored Guest
Hi, quick question about monitors.
My monitor supports only 60Hz. Can I still get 75fps on the Rift?
From what I have found I believe that I need to set the Rift as a primary display? (I don´t have the Rift yet so I can´t try it out)
I this correct?
Thank you.