cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Keyboard Overlay for Quest in Unity

laszlo_leber
Protege
Hey all!

I upgaded my Oculus integration in my Oculus Quest project to v19.1, and I would like to tryout the keyboard overlay in Unity.

So far I did the following steps in the project:

- Placed some InputField onto a Canvas
- Created the mechanism to be able to select the input fields in VR (with collider and raycast)
- enabled "focus aware", and set "Require system keyboard" on the OVR camera rig.
Unity version: 2019.4.5f1

When I click on the input field's collider, I manually call the focus on input field, but keyboard wont appear on the screen.

if (menuName == "ClickUsername")
{
this.GetComponent().ActivateInputField();
this.GetComponent().Select();

transform.GetChild(1).GetComponent().text = "inside";
transform.GetChild(2).GetComponent().text = "inside";
//overlayKeyboard = TouchScreenKeyboard.Open("", TouchScreenKeyboardType.Default);
}
I tried with the TouchScreenKeyboard.Open as well.

Unfortunately it's not working in my scene, but it's not working with the official Oculus UI scene too (checkbox and other elements are working), however as you can see on my image, the inside text is appeared in the textboxes, so my onclick event works perfectly.

tubfgbaye7a2.png

Thank you for your help!
10 REPLIES 10

laszlo_leber
Protege
So my question is, that how can I make it to work? 🙂

laszlo_leber
Protege
Today I implemented an own virtual keyboard but if anybody knows the solution how to use the built-in keyboard, share it please 🙂

shiena
Protege
Look here
https://forums.oculusvr.com/developer/discussion/comment/757854/#Comment_757854

Maybe some flag wasn't enabled, so I restarted Oculus Quest and it's ready to be used.

Carolina_VR
Honored Guest
Hi!
I updated Oculus Integration in my project but can see these options: "Focus aware" and "Require system keyboard" on the OVR camera rig.
Unity v.2019.2.11f1.
2iu3k9n0wvj7.png

How does it look for you guys?
Thaaanks!

shiena
Protege
Please switch to Android platform

CosmicStud
Honored Guest
Yes doesn't work for me either, but its probably due to my project not using the camera rig from Oculus integration, I use the Unity cross platform version. I call through scripting, it seems the input focus event is fired for the initial string but no keyboard appears. Prob needing the camera rig  😕

shiena
Protege
When I build the following project and focus InputFiled, the keyboard appeared.

* Unity2019.4.14f
  scene: Assets/VR%20Examples/Scenes/UI Interaction.unity
* without Oculus Integration
* add oculus.software.overlay_keyboard feature to AndroidManifest.xml
  <uses-feature android:name="oculus.software.overlay_keyboard" android:required="false"/>
* Quest Build 20.0 / Quest2 Build 23.0

You are configured as rift, and it's need to be android(quest), 
it's not available for rift, only 3rd-party solution available.

Are you adding oculus.software.overlay_keyboard feature to AndroidManifest.xml directly after a build, or via an xml file in the Unity project? I'd be interested to know how to automate this functionality being added to a build w/o manually editing an xml file after every build.