cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for shaky/distorted objects in Right/LeftHandAnchor?

TBA_VR
Honored Guest
I'm no longer at the PC I use to develop, so I can't provide a picture of my problem. I'm using Unity 2017.4.0, or whatever the most current version is.

So, I've had trouble getting items tracked by the touch controllers to display properly. Using the Unity Utilities 1.19, Oculus Platform SDK 1.19, and Avatar SDK 1.16, I am trying to display the avatar hands to in my scene. Everything works fine at first, but the avatar hands start to shake and become increasingly more shaky as the scene goes on; it almost looks like a mirage as it gets more distorted.

It also does the same for child objects of the Left/RightHandAnchors of the OVRCameraRig prefab. For example, when attaching a cube to the RightHand, I'm able to move it around as normal using the controller. It looks like a normal cube at first, but then starts shaking and become more distorted and mirage-like. I have no idea what might cause this to happen, and I'm so close to having the TouchControllers set-up otherwise.
11 REPLIES 11

ProtopottyGames
Explorer
Do you by any chance have any (non kinematic) rigedbodies attached to your controllers? If so you may be having collider conflicts.
Also when you say "as the scene goes on" do you mean there are other gameplay element's being introduced in the scene as you play, or do you just mean as time goes on in a blank/static scene?

Absolutely update your Unity utilities/Oculus sdk stuff as suggested by imperativity.
Who knows what kind of issues could come about from not being current there.

One other thing you might check for is if anything in your scene might be falling to infinity. If there's an object with a rigedbody/collider falling through the floor to infinity, it *could* cause this kind of behavior over time as the scene plays.

TBA_VR
Honored Guest

imperativity said:
Is there any particular reason you are using such out of date packages in your application? We have newer versions of these integrations that may have addressed issues like this on your downloads page here.

I had the same problem with both the current version and the older versions. I initially had a problem with a shader being absent from the most recent Avatar SDK. Since I was following a tutorial (I'm a newbie) from around November, I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything with the more recent Oculus and Utilities packages as well.

jimthegrim said:

Do you by any chance have any (non kinematic) rigedbodies attached to your controllers? If so you may be having collider conflicts.
Also when you say "as the scene goes on" do you mean there are other gameplay element's being introduced in the scene as you play, or do you just mean as time goes on in a blank/static scene?

I'm using a completely empty scene to test this and get it to work. There are no elements being introduced over time. There are also no rigidbodies attached to any of the controllers in the LocalAvatar object.

Here is a picture of my scene setup, along with the described phenomenon. This was capture about 30 seconds after starting the scene. This was tested with the most recent versions of Utilities for Unity and Oculus Platform SDK, and Avatar SDK version 1.22.0.ok5i9tw32qyt.bmp

ProtopottyGames
Explorer
Oh wow..hm...Yeah never seen anything quite like that before. :sweat_smile:

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Not sure, but it could be a floating point precision issue with animation. Does the issue still occur if you move the GameObject closer to the origin (0,0,0)?

If this is the case, try setting OVRCameraRig.useFixedUpdateForTracking. That will cause all the XRNodes to update their poses in lock-step with physics and anything else on the FixedUpdate cadence, causing them to judder a little more in rendering, but simulate more smoothly in the physical environment.

olej1964
Honored Guest
I know it's an old thread. But i have exactly the same problem. running Unity 2019 2.6f1. Shaking so much after some 10 sec. that i can't recognise tha hand or the model im holding. 

zebcode
Honored Guest
Same issue here

AldeRoberge
Honored Guest
Same here. No one got it figured out?

Ot_Freeze
Honored Guest
I think I had the same problem and I believe the fix is as simple as putting a plane underneath your character because at the start, your character immediately falls very fast and the farther from the origin, the worse textures get.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ot_Freeze said:

I think I had the same problem and I believe the fix is as simple as putting a plane underneath your character because at the start, your character immediately falls very fast and the farther from the origin, the worse textures get.

Yeah that's actually true! This happened to me in the game 'The Under Presents'! I fell through the floor and this weird resolution thing happened to my hands. Kind of mesmerizing effect.