cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hand Tracking Not Working With OpenXR Backend.

Octonic
Protege

Hello, 

I have just upgraded to version 31.0 of the Oculus integration for unity 2020.3.0f1. It looks like hand tracking isn't working with the OpenXR backend. 
It works fine with the legacy plugin though. 

Does anyone else have the same issue? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

korinVR
Expert Protege

I can confirm hands are not drawn. It seems hand tracking is not fully supported on the OpenXR backend for now. There is a related description in the release note.

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/unity-integration/

Support for hand-tracking is currently restricted to the baseline OpenXR spec. Therefore, additional hand-tracking features such as collision capsules, hand input metadata, and runtime hand meshes are not yet supported. In addition, there is a known compatibility issue with the thumb trapezium bone (Thumb0) in the OpenXR-based OVRPlugin. We'll announce a fix when available in our release notes.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

korinVR
Expert Protege

I can confirm hands are not drawn. It seems hand tracking is not fully supported on the OpenXR backend for now. There is a related description in the release note.

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/unity-integration/

Support for hand-tracking is currently restricted to the baseline OpenXR spec. Therefore, additional hand-tracking features such as collision capsules, hand input metadata, and runtime hand meshes are not yet supported. In addition, there is a known compatibility issue with the thumb trapezium bone (Thumb0) in the OpenXR-based OVRPlugin. We'll announce a fix when available in our release notes.

prvncher
Explorer

So I'm having the same issue with V31 (SDK + OS), alongside Unity 2019.4.29f1.

Hands simply aren't detected and none of the hands sample scenes I've tried detect hands properly.
(Train demo scene or Passtrough hands).

When I switch back to the legacy backend, these demos properly detect hands, but then no longer support passthrough.

drash
Heroic Explorer

With the v34 Unity integration, I confirmed that hand-tracking is still not working with the OpenXR backend.  So +1 to waiting on a fix for that!

DYosifov
Honored Guest

By "it works fine with the legacy plugin" do you mean after building the APK or during the development with Oculus link? I cannot make it work with Oculus Link in Unity editor and the only way it works is by building and deploying to Quest (which slows the development time a lot).

I am using v34 of Oculus integration, Unity 2020.3.22f1 and Oculus XR Plugin (tested both 1.10.0 and 1.11.0).

No issue with legacy hand tracking in the editor on Oculus link in my 2020.3.20f1 project on v34. 

TheDaddis
Protege

Still having the same issue with v34 in Unity 2020.3.22f1.

Passthrough works if you use OpenXR, but hands are not visible.

Hands work if you use Legacy VRAPI, but passthrough only appears black.

Hopefully Oculus fixes hands on OpenXR, as it seems like that is the way forward: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/oculus-all-in-on-openxr-deprecates-proprietary-apis/

cliv3dev
Explorer

Basic hand tracking works with OpenXR backend and V34 and Unity 2020.3.x.

But, as stated in the V34 Release note, there is a known bug on Thumb0 bone as you can see in this screenshot of my game Just Hoops:

OpenXR V34 OVRplugin Thumb0 bugOpenXR V34 OVRplugin Thumb0 bug

So if this doesn't bother you, you can use hand tracking anyway with OpenXR !

I asked for an ETA on the bug fix to the support but no answer yet...

Diego

This is interesting. How did you manage to get the hand and bones to show up? 

cliv3dev
Explorer

I took the code from [...]\Assets\Oculus\VR\Scripts\Util\OVRSkeleton.cs and recreated my own data structure to handle all the bones updated by OVRPlugin and in this screenshot it's just a debug rendering of lines connected to each bone coming from the handtracking...