cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Unity3D app which works in both Oculus GO and Oculus Quest simultaneously?

tharun15
Honored Guest

To my understanding, both GO and Quest publish settings are same in unity3d. Even the Oculus dashboard are also same. But when I try to send a invite to my Beta to a Quest user. Its not showing inside Quest. They get an email and they click accept and it takes them browser based congrats screen saying app is available in preview apps. But when they see in the Oculus App installed in phone or Inside Oculus Quest. Its all empty.

Even in unity there is no option to select build for GO or Quest. There is common option Go/GearVR tats all.

I could see lot of apps in the oculus store which is compatible for both GO and Quest.

I tried customer support and this was the answer. am not sure its applicable for unity3D.

I dont see any different oculus dashboard portal for Quest. Its all the same for GO and Quest. What am I missing ? Please help.

Am using 

IMAC retina 5k,27 inch 2017

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4

Unity3D 2019.2.6f1

2 REPLIES 2

tharun15
Honored Guest
2q5kq9x0oso1.png

technotic
Protege
Support is correct. Though they both run on Android-based platforms, you're dealing with different hardware, software, limitations, and even 3DOF as opposed to 6DOF. But the main issue is, you need to be approved to develop officially for the Quest and gain access to Oculus Integrations.

When building for the Go, you can use the GearVR/Go token generator to create the token necessary for Oculus Integration on the appropriate platform. You can invite users to test for the Go platform.Your product will be available to the invited users via the Oculus Go hardware. The token is valid only for the appropriate store (Go).

To have access to the Quest development area, including project management and store submissions, you first need to submit a proposal presentation to Oculus. more details can be found with a quick search on Google (search for Oculus Quest Store Submission Proposal). Being accepted is more of an exception than the rule. They have high standards and only if your project is approved, will you be able to use Oculus Integrations (SDK) with your app, submit to the store (including alpha, beta, pre-release), add test users, etc. Without the authentication for the Integrations, you can't tie into any Oculus backend infrastructure.

TL;DR: Oculus Quest store and app availability on the Quest store is controlled, regulated, and curated by Oculus. The Go and Rift stores are much more open and accepting. If you want to have your Go project be available to users on the Quest through the store, even as beta or backport, you need Oculus to give you explicit access. Your only other option is to provide the apk file to would-be testers for sideloading. Note that it won't grant access to Integrations even if built using the Go token. 

Best of luck.