cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant Runtime Splash Screen - Problem with non-HDR images on Quest

ezone
Protege

When implementing the instant runtime splash screen there is a problem with how the splash image is processed which causing the image to be overexposed on the Quest. The first image below is how it should look, the second is how it appears on the Quest. The problem seems to be that you can't save a PNG as an HDR image which means when the splash goes through the ASTC conversion the brightness levels, etc get messed up. It works fine for a black and white images (e.g. the oculus logo), but if you have a color image you'll get similar results.

I think it has something to do with gamma vs linear color space. As a workaround I've switched to a black and white image, but if anyone has another solution I'd like to hear it

How it should look (uncompressed)How it should look (uncompressed)How it appears on the QuestHow it appears on the Quest

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BLANX.de
Protege

I think it expects the image to be in linear color space instead of sRGB. So take photoshop to change the gamma to 0.4545 and save a new version

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Eclectus
Explorer

I am also experiencing problems with the instant splash screen, brightening the color as you describe above. Any information on what is happening here would be appreciated?

BLANX.de
Protege

I think it expects the image to be in linear color space instead of sRGB. So take photoshop to change the gamma to 0.4545 and save a new version

SOLVED - Thankyou BLANX.de, your reasoning makes sense, I have applied your suggestion, and it was successful 🙂

ezone
Protege

Thanks BLANK.de, very helpful (you learn something new everyday).

I'm using Affinity Photo (I don't have Photoshop), so to get the correct gamma adjustment you need to create a 'procedural texture' that looks like the following:

Raise the gamma by a power of 2.2 (equivalent to 0.4545 in photoshop)Raise the gamma by a power of 2.2 (equivalent to 0.4545 in photoshop)

WildBillie
Honored Guest

In case anyone is trying to do this in the GIMP, it's under the menu "Color > Levels..". and is this unlabeled(?) text input next to the "Clamp input" checkbox.

GammaAdjustmentGimp.png