cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum 360 videos size in Unity

thomas.costa.299
Honored Guest
I'm finding it difficult to find out the maximum package size for an app published to Oculus Go. 

I have seen discussion of 4GB and increases possible through downloadable content.

The reason I ask is we are creating an app with quite a lot of stereo 360 video with Unity3D. 

We will have approx 30GB of content and I would like to package this all in one, is that possible? 

Also even if it's not possible through a release or the store can we do this locally by sideloading? 

We would look to use a cloud service for downloadable content in the future but obviously this 

has a cost implication so for the moment for our minimal viable product we will simply sideload 

content whilst on trial. Is it possible to sideload extra content
in this way or to sideload a larger apk containing the 360 video files.

Thanks a lot

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would look into AssetBundles for this.  You can have the app load up normally, and then get the video content from an assetBundle remotely stored at runtime.  I don't think there is any restriction on sideloading as long as the headset physically has enough memory, but that is more of a development method than production.

Turisas
Explorer

Hello.

@thomas.costa.299, did you found solution for you problem. I've faced with exactly the same problem ( a lot 360 videos ). And I want include as many as possible videos at start and download rest after. But it's unclear how many obb files and size of obb I can use.

Looks like unity now may produce .obb files larger than 2 Gb ( https://forum.unity.com/threads/create-obb-with-video-bigger-than-2-gb-for-android-assetbundle.50331... ). Not tested yet.

And from Oculus/Meta documentation it's unclear how many .obb files may be included. Looks like if use Required Asset files so I may include several ( but what is the total size limit? )

Hi @Turisas, it's been quite a while since I've worked on this project and I never saw it finished to be fair but the conclusion of this problem was to have the videos downloaded from a server. I don't know if the quality can be maximized but there are still not too many ways around this problem unfortunately.

Turisas
Explorer

@thomas.costa.299thank you for fast response. Yeah, server is always a solution )