cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Avatar not displaying the users avatar

ImmersiveMatthew
Expert Protege

Has anyone here been able to bring down a user's Meta Avatar? I have the new Meta Avatars working in my title, but only with the generic test avatars, not the logged in users avatar. I have played around with the parameters circled in red from the SampleAvatar Entity script all to no avail. When I check off the parameters to get it to use the user's avatar, all I end up with is a blue tinted, blank avatar. It just does not seem to bring down the users Meta Avatar. What am I missing? Are there other parameters needed somewhere beyond the screenshot here? I did request Avatar permission on my App's profile and it was approved. 

MetaverseAdventures_0-1641588848860.png

15 REPLIES 15

ImmersiveMatthew
Expert Protege

I was able to get it to work with my custom avatar. That said, when I login with another Meta account, it goes back to the blue generic avatar. I am unclear as to why my account would work and not others as I am not putting in any Meta account credentials into Unity, only the Quest App ID. I can only assume App ID must be tied to my Meta account? What do you see when you run this APK on your Quest. You should see your Meta Avatar and not a blue generic one. https://drive.google.com/file/d/11fk6HqnfG6nuuc0uj7UrxphU-n48gMnM/view?usp=sharing

ImmersiveMatthew
Expert Protege

I connected the console to my Quest to see what Avatar errors I am getting and I am getting the following error:

Autoconnected Player [ovrAvatar2 examplePlatformInit] Failed entitlement check: 7 - user does not have app in library

This error only occurs when logged into my Quest with a non developer Meta account but does not when I am logged in with my developer Meta account. Is this a bug or am I missing something here?  Thanks for any insights.

ImmersiveMatthew
Expert Protege

The first ovrAvatar2 warning that occurs before the above error may be a clue.

Autoconnected Player [ovrAvatar2 native] SystemAndroid::Application will not be able to use a shared asset cache because it does not have Manifest.permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and/or Manifest.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permissions.

I tried adding permission to the android manifest to no avail. Investigating as there must be another place.

ImmersiveMatthew
Expert Protege

When I am logged into my Quest with the Meta account tied to my developer account the my custom Meta Avatar appears correctly, however when logged in as anyone else, I get the default blue generic avatar and more errors as seen in the second screen shot below. I believe the whole external storage permission bit is irrelevant as both scenarios have this error. The only differance I can spot is the Failed Entitlement check 7 error, but why would it fail?  I for sure have Meta approval to access Avatars in my title. Errors_when_Dev_Account_Logged_into_Quest.pngLogged_in_with_a_non_dev_Meta_Account.png

ImmersiveMatthew
Expert Protege

FIXED: You cannot access another users avatar other than your own Meta developer Account unless you add them as a tester in an alpha etc. release channel). I was getting the blue avatar as the Meta user logged in was not in that test channel.  Once added it worked just fine.

Did you manage to get this working in the Unity Editor? I only managed to get it working on a build in my headset. In the editor I get the following error in my console: [ovrAvatar2 examplePlatformInit] Failed entitlement check: 1 - Missing entitlement for {MY APP ID}. In my Desktop Oculus app I'm definitely logged into the same Oculus account as in my headset.

Unfortunately you can only test the real custom Meta aAvatars in the Quest for some reason (probably on Rift too but I never tried).  In the Editor all you can play with is the example avatars.  

I managed to make it work! I replied to you on another thread with the how-to.

Thank you!!!