cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meta Avatars Appearing With Missing Head Or Body In The Unity Editor And On Windows Builds

olaysia
Expert Protege

UPDATE (01/03/2023): As of January 3rd 2023, Loading avatars with federated app ids simply doesn't work. Instead I get an error log saying 'Spec Request Failed'. 

UPDATE (12/22/2022): I've managed to narrow down this issue to something to do with the way avatars are loaded using federated app credentials. I've made a new post about this here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Unity-VR-Development/Loading-Meta-Avatars-With-Cross-Play-using-Feder...

As of the 16th December 2022 we have started seeing incompletely constructed avatars. The Meta Avatar SDK version we are using is 18.0. I have tried updating to 20.0 but still see the same problem. Here are some additional observations.:

• This does not occur on a Quest build. It happens in the Unity Editor or in a Desktop build.
  • The problem sometimes resolves itself after I make a change to my avatar's look in settings, save the changes and then try reloading the avatar.
  • The problem does not resolve itself by re-loading the user. If a user has the problem, it persists each time the avatar is loaded.
  • Mostly the avatars head is missing, and occasionally only the hands of the avatar entity's LOD4 is visible:
    When only the hands of the LOD4 renderer are visible.When only the hands of the LOD4 renderer are visible.When the head of the avatar is missing, as you can see in the inspector the entity has been set to third person.When the head of the avatar is missing, as you can see in the inspector the entity has been set to third person.In this case the head is missing but the eyebrows are visible.In this case the head is missing but the eyebrows are visible.
  • The problem also happens in a blank scene using only Meta's sample codeThe problem also happens in a blank scene using only Meta's sample code
    Help would be greatly appreciated as it is impossible to launch our product with Meta Avatars if this is not resolved.
3 REPLIES 3

mreimer
Expert Protege

Likely an issue with the level of detail setup for the character models. Seems like it should be displaying LOD0 (zero) and not LOD4. See this Unity reference on LODs.

If that were the case it should still display the entirety of the the LOD4 Avatar. Not just its hands.

olaysia
Expert Protege

I've managed to narrow down this issue to something to do with Federated App credentials. I've made a more specific post about the problem here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Unity-VR-Development/Loading-Meta-Avatars-With-Cross-Play-using-Feder...