cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mac Pro (late 2013) - Any issues?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, are there any issues doing DK2 / Unity development work using the latest Mac Pro?

Apparently that setup meets the requirements listed in the FAQ but I'm a bit unsure about the whole 60Hz / 75Hz / judder issue which seems to pop up in several posts.

How does the device work in a multi-monitor setup?

I have no idea what the refresh rate of my monitors are in either case.

Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

cybereality
Grand Champion
In general, laptops are not recommended due to low performance and compatibility issues.

So for the best experience, you should be using a desktop with a dedicated graphics card.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the reply. So... you're saying I should be good with the Mac Pro? I guess I was hoping that someone could definitively state that a Mac Pro works correctly.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Actually, I'm not sure that the Mac Pro is the best choice. Currently multi-GPU are not well supported (Mac Pro uses dual AMD FirePro). In addition, you'd probably want a consumer gaming card over the professional versions (unless you need it more for production work, 3d modelling, etc.). I mean, it will likely work, but you could probably put together a better consumer level rig for the same or less money.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"cybereality" wrote:
Actually, I'm not sure that the Mac Pro is the best choice. Currently multi-GPU are not well supported (Mac Pro uses dual AMD FirePro). In addition, you'd probably want a consumer gaming card over the professional versions (unless you need it more for production work, 3d modelling, etc.). I mean, it will likely work, but you could probably put together a better consumer level rig for the same or less money.

Perhaps that should be mentioned in your FAQ.

First of all I'm a professional developer. Secondly I already own the Mac Pro - it's not something I intend to buy for the purpose of DK2 development.

At this point I'm still not clear on exactly what you're saying.

I'm clear that the Mac Pro might not be what a typical end user / consumer uses but that isn't what I'm asking about. Not forgetting the fact that you don't actually have a finished product available yet.

Will the Mac Pro allow me to develop a DK2 product?

I have an order for the DK2 that will soon be on it's way. Perhaps I should be canceling that order because at this point I'm not exactly clear on whether it will work.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I don't think you should cancel your order. Most likely, it will work.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"cybereality" wrote:
I don't think you should cancel your order. Most likely, it will work.

That doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Thanks.

pjenness
Rising Star
If needed you could tack on a high level external GPU. I did this for a macbook pro

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

Not ideal, but if you really want to stay with the mac pro its an option perhaps
-P

CubicleNinjas
Protege
Edit: Sounds like you're using a Mac Pro not a Macbook Pro? Below may not be useful, but can share an anecdote. I'm a recovering Apple nerd and the store is cool with me, so they actually let me run VR tests on all hardware in the Fall. The latest Macbook Pro's performed better than the latest Mac Pros in multiple VR tests. Since they are built for multi-threaded apps they will excel when using these, but not on normal apps.

I use a 2011 Macbook Pro to develop on the go. It is solid, but suffers from some major issues that are simply part of life. They have cost me weeks of wasted time. A few are below:

• Render textures regularly turn into pixel art stills, often only on one eye. This makes previewing your project hard.

• Ram is limited. This wouldn't be a problem alone, but Unity loves to crash when this occurs. I use Memory Clean to automatically clear the memory when it gets low.

• There is an odd bug with contrast levels. One eye can be appropriate contrast, where the other will be very light. Only solution is a restart.

• Direct to rift mode is awesome. Direct to rift is only on PC. Therefore you really need to run on PC to ensure things work well.

Last few months I purchased the newest Macbook Pro with highest card and Ram. It is faster, but the issues above remain. Immediately got a PC instead to get away from the issues.

My recommendation would be a dedicated gaming PC or laptop. The number of issues you will experience is significantly less. The Windows SDK is the priority (as it should be). The users are on this platform too, so you get to see what they see. Getting a Macbook Pro here will leave you at a disadvantage.

Sorry. My two cents.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Edit: Sounds like you're using a Mac Pro not a Macbook Pro?

Correct - Mac Pro.

My recommendation would be a dedicated gaming PC or laptop. The number of issues you will experience is significantly less. The Windows SDK is the priority (as it should be). The users are on this platform too, so you get to see what they see. Getting a Macbook Pro here will leave you at a disadvantage.

I understand you've edited your original response. Not sure what I said in my original post that made people think I was buying a new computer.

I have no interest in purchasing anything running Windows OS. Everything I've read suggests that the DK2 is compatible with multiple operating systems.

My understanding on Unity 5 (which I have) is that it contains optimizations for the Rift that work on both Win / Mac. Is that not correct?