cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Utilities 1.6 for Unity 5 Released

cybereality
Grand Champion

New Features

• Added Adaptive Resolution to OVRManager, which automatically scales down app resolution when GPU utilization exceeds 85%. See “OVRManager” in Unity Components for details. (Rift only, requires Unity v 5.4 or later)
  • OVR Screenshot Wizard size parameter is now freeform instead of dropdown selection for greater flexibility.
  • Added recommended anti-aliasing level to help applications choose the right balance between performance and quality.
  • Added support for more than one simultaneous OVROverlay. Now apps can show up to 3 overlay quads on Gear VR and 15 on Rift.

API Changes

• Added OVRHaptics.cs and OVRHapticsClip.cs to programmatically control haptics for Oculus Touch controller. See OVRHaptics for more information.
  • Added public members Enable Adaptive Resolution, Max Render Scale, and Min Render Scale to OVRManager.
  • Added OVRManager.useRecommendedMSAALevel to enable auto-selection of anti-aliasing level based on device performance.
  • Added OVRManager.useIPDInPositionTracking to allow apps to separately disable head position tracking (see OVRManager.usePositionTracking) and stereopsis.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed bug preventing power save from activating on Gear VR.
  • Fixed counter-intuitive behavior where disabling OVRManager.usePositionTracking prevented proper eye separation by freezing the eye camera positions at their original offset.

Known Issues

• Gear VR
    • Unity 5 automatically generates manifest files with Android builds that will cause them to be automatically rejected by the Oculus Store submission portal. If this is blocking your application submission, please let us know on our Developer Forums and we will work with you on a temporary workaround.
    • Gear VR developers using Unity 5.3.4 or later, or using Unity 5.4.0b16 and later: Do not set DSP Buffer Size to Best in Audio Manager in the Inspector for now or you will encounter audio distortion. Set it to Good or Default instead.

Important Note

• Unity 5.3.6p1 is the first version to include support for PC SDK 1.6.
  • The latest 5.4 version does not include 1.6, and only supports PC SDK 1.5.
https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/game-engines/1.6.0/Oculus_Utilities_for_Unity_5/
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sweet sweet timewarp layers! Great timing! 🙂 Looks like a very useful update.

delphinius81
Rising Star
Is there a known ETA for when 5.4 will have PC SDK 1.6 support?

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
We are expecting it in 5.4.0p1, which will probably ship in the next week or so.

delphinius81
Rising Star
Thanks for the quick response!

RaZeR2020
Honored Guest
I'm building for the Gear VR using the VRRig prefab in Unity 3.3.5f1 and when I test on the phone the screen is black and the app crashes. Is this an issue of the utilities or am I doing something wrong? (previous version works well). I also tested on an empty scene and the same thing happens

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
You mean 5.3.5f1? That version had some known timing issues. Can you try 5.3.5p2 or higher? Also, please attach the output from "adb logcat" so we can see what happened.

Anonymous
Not applicable
In 1.7 I'm getting a crash during/after OnApplicationPause when the "Use Recommended MSAA Level" option is enabled. I'm using 5.4.0p2 and building to GearVR (S7). You should be able to repro with a blank scene with OVRCameraRig (with the option checked). Load up, the take off the headset, wait 15 to 30 seconds and then put it back on. Seems to crash only if an adjustment to MSAA has occurred. For example: On S7, if project is built with 2x MSAA, it will be bumped up to 4x at runtime and crash after doing the above.

Testing on a Note4 it seems to be fine regardless of whether an adjustment to MSAA has occurred at runtime.

My test units are an Exynos S7 running 6.0.1 and a Snapdragon Note4 running 5.1.1.

vrdaveb
Oculus Staff
Sorry for the delay here. We fixed a number of hazards in texture allocation by having the mobile SDK manage the eye buffers for Unity. Does the issue still occur in 5.6.0b11?