cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA for using Unity XR plugin

mightycoconut
Protege
We just shipped our first game built on the Unity XR Plugin architecture, and ran into a few gotchas that took a while to work through. Sharing here to hopefully save others some pain. 

Even though the plugin works great in the editor, you will still need to install the standard Oculus plugin in order to pass the VRC process. In particular, you'll need the standard plugin to call entitlement check: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/ps-entitlement-check/?locale=en_US&device=QUEST

Also, events like focus lost, HMD mounted, etc. are not fired with the XR plugin alone, and the Unity events aren't fully functional (yet). To fix this, you'll need to have an OVRManager component active somewhere in the scene. This also solved an issue where the Rift would not exit when the user chooses to quit through the dash.

Hopefully these will get fixed over time, but that was required with the current setup: Unity 2019.4.9f1, Oculus XR Plugin 1.4.3.

3 REPLIES 3

codest
Explorer
Have spent quite a while trying to figure this out, especially since I'm towards the end of development. Thanks for sharing.

Preston_Jong
Protege

I'm so glad I found this post.  I'm also developing in Unity 2019.4.21f1, Oculus XR Plugin 1.8.1, and using Unity XR Interaction Toolkit (0.10.0-preview.7), XR Plugin Management 4.0.1.  I'm polishing up my game the next few months and plan to submit it to Oculus store for review in May 2021.  I'll add back to my scenes OVRManager.

omfgnn
Explorer

Sorry to revive a 2 year old thread. But if you're THE "mighty coconut" that gave us Walkabout Mini Golf, it would be awesome if you posted more of these kinds of posts. WMG is a perfect example of a beautiful, and smoothly running app on Quest and I'd love to know how you managed to get steady framerates without giving up things like nice looking shadows or having glitchy occlusion issues or flickering billboards.