cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe Screen Tearing Occuring when Performance Drops? Unity 2021.3.11f1+ URP

VirtuaPNG
Honored Guest

When the fps of my game drops even a little bit in my game a tear starts to form vertically on the right eye and depending on the load will shift over the right eye to the left. Its clear to me that the image being displayed past the tear is being fed a previous frame (it lags behind). I have also profiled the game using OVR Metrics and see nothing out of the ordinary to me. What is really confusing to me is that to my knowledge its never really supposed to do that even under stress. I have tried many different things, used just OpenXR, used OculusXR Plugin with Oculus Integration, tried a more recent unity version, used Vulcan and OpenGLES, created a fresh project and all had the same problem. I have played other quest games and had the fps drop and have never seen this behavior before. It's really sickening even for me and I have well over 1000 hours in VR so I cannot imagine how bad it would effect a newcomer. The only thing I found to really improve this issue was to switch to multi pass but it was still present in the corner and multi pass is really not ideal for this project.

1 REPLY 1

VirtuaPNG
Honored Guest

I was able to check the log today and it was instantly flooded with errors similar to this:

errors2.PNG

This seems to fit the bill but I don't know why this is happening. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated.