cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spatial Anchors issues and "tutorial"

Shavier
Protege

So I've been testing spatial anchors for a few days and I wanted to make a post to share my progress with the community. There is a little "tutorial" in the end of the post for those who wants to implement the Sharing Spatial Anchor feature.

So far I've seen some issues and wanted to ask you everyone if you think Spatial Anchors are ready to use for bussiness purposes. We wanted to create a AR space with multiple users conected in a local network, but when I configure the spatial anchor it sometimes get a little displacement (4~5 cm) and that can lead to displacement virtual objects in the room. I thought about making multiple spatial anchors and getting some kind of average center point to solve the displacement issue.

The second problem is that sharing this spatial anchors to other users (with the new sharing feature) seems to make another little displacement in other users. So... Am I missing something? Maybe I need to walk around the real room so the oculus quest 2 get all the "tracking points" in the room? Cause I've read the anchors uses real world traking points to get the location of that anchor.

So I dont know if this feature is really thought for oculus quest 2 or maybe they are improving this feature in the oculus quest pro - oculus quest 3.

And here is the tutorial for sharing spatial anchors:
So far this is my progress and maybe could help the ones that wanted to use spatial anchors.

Oculus provide this project so you can learn how all the functions works (create the spatial anchor, save it into the devices and share it to othres)
https://github.com/oculus-samples/Unity-SharedSpatialAnchors 

To be clear, the sharing option is not a function that the oculus quest does, it is more a function that "you" have to implement in your network system so you can send the spatial anchors info to other users. They uses Photon in the example but you can use another network systems like Mirror or Netcode for gameobjects.
Once you open the project it is not enough to make a build and run it into the device. You have to upload it to the Meta developer manager (the store from oculus quest).

https://developer.oculus.com/manage 

There you have to create an app so you can get the AppID that you have to write in the Oculus Platform Settings of the project, If you dont set the appID the share spatial anchor feature wont work.

casss.png

Now you can make the build. And then upload it to the meta store (you can use the Meta Quest developer Hub) I recomend to upload it as an Alpha version if you are testing.
https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/oculus-developer-hub-win 

Then go back to the Meta developer manager and searh for the Release channels and click in the alpha version you uploaded
cas2.png

Then you have to give you access in the users tab so the app will show in your devices app's

cas3.png

Annddd now the think that cost me 2 days of work. In order to work, the spatial anchors needs to get to your device ID, and to do that, the app needs some permissions. So you had to enable the appID on the Data use Checkup (in the left menu) I also recommend to set the user profile request access (just cause oculus recommneds it too)

cas4.png

And now you can download the app in your device from the All apps menu in your oculus and use the example of sharing spatial anchors.

Hope it helps someone.

16 REPLIES 16

Atrujanox
Explorer

I still have an issue, how can I add some other members from other oculus for testing? because when I added them on alpha platform the issue persists saying "oculus id: 0 and that SSA wont work"

The exact message is "You are not authenticated to use this app. Shared Spatial Anchors will not work."
The other account I invited to the organization has already been verified via phone number, also I added him to the alpha program of the same app, something I noticed is that he has no User ID, but I can come to a solution finding it.

It was my fault. I wasn't downloading the app via quest lab after adding the alpha for the users, I was using unity's tool to build directly onto the HMDs

Hii, and were you able to use the sharing spatial anchor feature after installing it via quest lab?

I seems like that, I noticed some offset between the headsets like 20cm some of the times, I need further testing to know why this happens but seems like orientation is working right.

yarwad
Explorer

Wtf.  Do you have to do all this everytime you make a new build?  How are you supposed to test anything without ripping your hair out?

What I do is to test everything without the spatial anchors feature, then when the app is ready, getting all the process done. But yeah, if you have to test the spatial anchors feature you have to do all the process (but just upload an update in the meta dashboard, no need to create a new app)

No, you don't. Once you have uploaded a build to the website, and installed it from App Lab, you can go back to pushing it to the headset(s) directly through Unity. Of course, eventually you'll want to increment the build code, build it, and push it up to the website again. As long as you've incremented the build code the headset will ask you if you want to update to the latest version when you go to run it again.

Thanks man.  That's really helpful.

Fabularis
Explorer

I have an different issue.
In play mode from Unity editor it works fine but when I build on Meta Quest 2 and choose Anchor Sharing Demo app crash.
The strangest thing is that the same application build on Meta Quest Pro works fine.
Someone happen the same thing? I don't know why it crash