Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity UnityEngine.XR.Recenter not working on Quest

chadstitch
Explorer
Hi all, I'm having a weird problem where I'm trying to call the 
Recenter

function. So I am currently trying to develop on the rift, and then building on the Quest. However, I am facing a problem, when I call the recenter function on the rift, everything works perfectly and as intended. However, when I test it on the Quest, the function does not seem to work at all. Does anyone have the same thing? 

If it matters, I'm using Unity 2018.4.0f1 LTS

Thanks all!

15 REPLIES 15

MarkMahlon
Honored Guest
I have the same issue running on Unity2018.3.12f1 I tried UnityEngine.XR.Recenter and also OVRManager.display.RecenterPose() neither of which work. I don't see any documentation on this but there should be because of VRC.Quest.Functional.9. Now if there is no way to do it on the quest because you have reserved that functionality for long pressing your home button than that needs to be said. But if this is a bug I have a minimal project that reproduces it.

choof
Explorer
Hey guys, you should look at this post: https://developer.oculus.com/first-access/santa-cruz/post/2265251466819472/

An Oculus rep "mfmf" has confirmed the behavior was intentionally disabled on Quest:

Followup: there will not be a way for apps to manually trigger a recenter. Users are expected to know how to recenter properly. We've made recenter much easier to trigger on Quest than Rift.

chadstitch
Explorer

choof said:

Hey guys, you should look at this post: https://developer.oculus.com/first-access/santa-cruz/post/2265251466819472/

An Oculus rep "mfmf" has confirmed the behavior was intentionally disabled on Quest:

Followup: there will not be a way for apps to manually trigger a recenter. Users are expected to know how to recenter properly. We've made recenter much easier to trigger on Quest than Rift.

Hmm, thank you for this! It was definitely driving me crazy as to why it wasn't working on the Quest...

This is unfortunate, but at least there is an answer!

justinomalley
Explorer
I don't want to manually trigger a recenter. I just want to subscribe to the event for when the playspace is recentered so my app can know when the user resets their view. Pls Oculus?

Gruguir
Protege
I don't understand. We should at least be able to know if the user has recentered the view by himself ?
@mfmf excuse me but as you have been cited and the post is no longer available could you (or someone from the staff) maybe comment or point toward some informations please ?

For info, this post has a super useful code snippet that will set player position and y-orientation on scene load:
Grrr. can't post links so try adding your own h.t.t.p.s. protocol to the following:
forum.unity.com/threads/help-with-oculus-quest-reorientation-on-levelload.759626/#post-5066975

Punchey
Explorer
I found that you are at least *supposed* to be able to tell when the boundary changes or playspace is recentered in Unity using the XRInputSubsystem.boundaryChanged and XRInputSubsystem.trackingOriginUpdated delegates.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Being able to manually trigger a recenter would actually be SUPER helpful with HandTracking only, unless I'm missing how that works natively?

It seems like a poor design if in my game they have to pull up the Oculus menu, then go to setting, then recenter..

Batussai
Explorer
Type your commentJoeyArena said:

Being able to manually trigger a recenter would actually be SUPER helpful with HandTracking only, unless I'm missing how that works natively?

It seems like a poor design if in my game they have to pull up the Oculus menu, then go to setting, then recenter..

Exact
when recenter with hand tranckin in the game with gesture menu (RawButton.Start) for example????