cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

>65 FPS

JayExbleative
Honored Guest
Hi guys,
I've been developing a prototype in Unity for a while, and after hearing about 90-120hz refresh rates, I'm wondering how I'm going to suddenly double my frame rate to keep up. Then once the double resolution screens come out for CV1, I'll be somehow doubling FPS and resolution at the same time, which is concerning.

While messing with my Unity scene, I tried some simple stuff like just removing all objects from the game, to see how high the frame rate would go. It stayed exactly the same, 65fps. So I'm thinking that Unity may already be capping my frame rate? I also downloaded a frame rate counter script and tried that, it says about the same, 60fps (which didn't change at all depending on what I was looking at).

The only time I ever see higher frame rates is when I'm not playing with "maximize on play" on, ie the game window is tiny. Then I still only see 70-80fps, while the fps script still reads 60.

Any thoughts on whether my frame rate is being capped at 60fps, or how to un-cap it?
11 REPLIES 11

diablosv21
Honored Guest
You'll probably find that you have v-sync on, which it typically will be by default. This matches the frame rate of your game to the one on your screen to help eliminate 'tearing'.

You can disable VSync in Quality settings. Just alter the 'VSync Count' field.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-QualitySettings.html

JayExbleative
Honored Guest
You'll probably find that you have v-sync on, which it typically will be by default. This matches the frame rate of your game to the one on your screen to help eliminate 'tearing'.

Sorry I should have mentioned this was off. Thanks though!

drash
Heroic Explorer
If you're using the Oculus Unity integration, you should also know that even if you turn off vsync in the Quality Settings, the Oculus Unity integration will turn it right back on. Go to the very bottom of OVRCameraController.cs to find where it's setting this and comment it out to see your real framerate. 🙂

JayExbleative
Honored Guest
Awesome thanks Drash, that seems to have revealed the true frame rate 🙂 Still slightly concerned that resolution is going to double and my frame rate is around 90-120fps, but at least now I'm confident that I'm seeing the 'correct' fps.

I wonder what's more preferable, tearing with vsync off, or a slower frame rate? Wouldn't it be hard to see tearing at 120fps? Does tearing still exist with the new way they're doing the Oculus screens?

diablosv21
Honored Guest
I'm pretty sure I've seen people test this and had some pretty mixed results. Overall it's generally much better to keep VSync turned on, which is why the Oculus script enforces it I suppose. 🙂

rupy
Honored Guest
My Java game runs at ~300 fps, and it's important for avoiding simulator sickness!

drash
Heroic Explorer
"diablosv21" wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've seen people test this and had some pretty mixed results. Overall it's generally much better to keep VSync turned on, which is why the Oculus script enforces it I suppose. 🙂

True, and I personally eventually did come around and realize that it's far better to have vsync on to boost immersion, but only if the latency is low enough to avoid drunk/swimming headtracking. Fortunately adjusting the Rift's prediction can usually compensate very well for this!

It's still a good idea to know what kind of headroom you have on your rendering framerate during development though.

owenwp
Expert Protege
Its important to measure how long it actually takes for a frame to render in milliseconds, not just how many frames you have per second. You should also be concerned with the max time not just the average, to avoid dropped frames.

DK2 supports 72hz and 60hz, so you might want to consider having an option in your game to turn down the refresh rate on slower computers (has to be done in code with Screen.SetResolution not in the built in options). 60hz disables low persistence as well though so obviously its better if you can provide a lower detail option that renders faster.

Also to see why vsync off is bad, try shaking your head side to side quickly with a framerate close to 60fps. It can look like the top half of the room has been sliced off and is sliding around above you if the timing works out just wrong. Gave me immediate eye strain the first time it happened.

mattscott
Honored Guest
Its important to measure how long it actually takes for a frame to render in milliseconds, not just how many frames you have per second. You should also be concerned with the max time not just the average, to avoid dropped frames.

thanks for clarifying this. i've been looking at raw fps this whole time.