cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.obb doesn't install during APK install

Tomd.exe
Honored Guest

Hey there. 

I've split my project into a 79mb APK/ 2.6gb OBB file. And have uploaded both files via both the inbuilt unity publishing tool and the Meta Quest Dev hub.

I definitely include the .obb file during both processes, as the file space estimate adjusts accordingly, but when I go to load the app up after it's installed I receive an infinite load screen.

I can then see within my quest 2 that there's no corresponding .obb file. In fact, I can manually paste the .obb file into this folder and it'll result in the app running as intended. 

I don't suppose anyone has any idea how to resolve this issue? Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

BabeleDunnit
Honored Guest

bump, same here

NeolithicJames
Honored Guest

Same issue, happens every time I currently have to install the .obb separately using SideQuest. Please fix, it makes the developer Hub unusable for app testing the "proper" way. 

MatthewF42
Explorer

One of my team members had this issue recently, too. He'd uninstalled everything, deleted anything in the corresponding OBB directory, and then 'freshly' downloaded and installed from App Lab. Only the APK was downloaded and installed, with the OBB file download completely skipped and ignored, for some reason. Downloading it manually and copying it across to the headset resolved it, but that's not much of a solution...

There's definitely a working APK+OBB to download on our App Lab channel, and it correctly downloaded both to my own headset, so I'm at a complete loss as to why this would occur. It's as if there's a cache or something on my team member's headset that blocked the OBB file from being downloaded.

npatsiouras_ntua
Honored Guest

I had the same problem the other day. But I haven't done anything about the Keystore which seems important for AppLab and I found a video on youtube which says that you need to add the Oculus Integration package even if you do OpenXR stuff (regardless if you use the Oculus XR plugin), because the Integration package actually produces proper manifests. And chances are the manifest is what needs to hold the information for the obbs and their destined locations. I also assume that's how MQDH will eventually know how to properly install obbs, provided they are next to the apk. But I'll have to test it out.

npatsiouras_ntua
Honored Guest

Having looked into it, it seems you do need the Oculus Integration. It's the only thing that creates a proper AndroidManifest and the only thing that will be accepted by AppLab.

Also as mentioned in this documentation Upload Expansion and Generic Asset Files page,

You must upload all expansion and asset files with your APKs to the Meta Quest store with the Command Line Utility (ovr-platform-util).

Disclaimer I haven't tried it yet, but so far even in a place with a good and fast connection I still get ECONNRESETs from MQDH. And going by other threads in this forum, Meta hasn't written particularly helpful or even correct error messages. ***

So in effect one has two options:

1) read the docs, download the utility from MQDH and write the terminal command themselves

2) use one of the Oculus Integration Unity tools, Oculus ->Tools->OVR Platform Tool which gives you UI that produces the same command as 1 easier.

*** For 2), not sure if this will happen to others, but for me, Unity hangs as soon as I open the Platform Tool editor tool. That's because it tries to download the platform util exe under Assets/Oculus/VR/Editor/Tools but seems to fail (curl timeouts). Weirdest thing is, at some point it unfroze, followed the error messages through code and found the link it downloads the platform util tool and downloaded it myself. It downloads without an extension. Renamed it to ovr-platform-util.exe but there was already an exe there with the same name, but it must have been an older version and that's what created the problem. So replaced the exe and now it works. The link for anyone experiencing this issue is https://www.oculus.com/download_app/?id=1076686279105243.

In order to upload to AppLab using the PlatformUtil, you have to go to the AppLab dashboard, into the application's context and at the API tab. There it shows the AppID and the AppSecret which are used in the Oculus Application ID and Oculus App Token of the OVR Platform Tool respectively. Then add the obb through the Optional Commands -> Expansion Files. Obviously this means you've already built the application itself.

I followed the following tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X37aYvHn5TE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AA3MO1d7L4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fauRJuWQ_RE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3jlO76NDAY

to get a sense of this.

Now I'm at the point where I'm trying to upload builds even without obbs through MQDH to verify the manifests etc are correct. But lost a lot of time because I have a very crappy ADSL at home.

UPDATE: One annoying thing is that every time you restart Unity, you need to reenter the keystore passwords, which is probably a security measure. Also the Platform Tool, seems to save to PlayerPrefs or sth, because you might use it to upload sth from ProjectA and close it, open ProjectB and the ID and Token are from ProjectA, even if you've previously filled them in for ProjectB. Not sure if the tool will nag about wrong credentials if you try to upload a build from one to the channel of the other.

Also the weirdest thing, I had tried to use MQDH to upload a build with obb prior to writing this post at a cafe with an awesome connection. It threw an ECONNRESET, but perhaps it retried the connection or sth because I found the build uploaded with the obb file and the timestamp was right after that try. MQDH most likely also uses the same tool in the background, but perhaps it errors out more easily trying to handle any loss of connection from the tool. Who knows. Platform Util from within Unity seemed better to me. *shrugs*

That said, I still have to go and test the builds out from the headset which I don't have with me....