cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.23.0 p7 Android build crashes the Quest if the GPU lightmass plugin code is in the UE dir.

MaxArch
Level 7
Testing 4.23p7. Has anyone noticed / can anyone confirm that projects converted from 4.22 crash immediately on the Quest? Steps to reproduce;
1. start 4.23.0p7 from launcher
2. select an existing project and Open A Copy
3. in the project settings, change the 'Package for Oculus Mobile Devices' to Quest
4. package + install
5. open on Quest - immediate crash - no splash screen.
In the logcat I see:
Fatal error: .... ShaderCompiler.cpp
Error: the global shader cache file '../../../Engine/GlobalShaderCache-GSGL_ES3_1_ANDROID.bin' is missing
Any suggestions?
Edit1: tested some more and I get this error as well with a brand new 4.23p7 project. Reported @ Epic.

Edit2: changed the title. Problem seems to be the GPU lightmass plugin.
If that code is in the UE dir, it crashes builds on the Quest. More info
in my post #5
Edit3: same issue and workaround for 4.23.0p8




9 REPLIES 9

motorsep
Level 8

MaxArch said:

Testing 4.23p7. Has anyone noticed / can anyone confirm that projects converted from 4.22 crash immediately on the Quest? Steps to reproduce;
1. start 4.23.0p7 from launcher
2. select an existing project and Open A Copy
3. in the project settings, change the 'Package for Oculus Mobile Devices' to Quest
4. package + install
5. open on Quest - immediate crash - no splash screen.

In the logcat I see:
Fatal error: .... ShaderCompiler.cpp
Error: the global shader cache file '../../../Engine/GlobalShaderCache-GSGL_ES3_1_ANDROID.bin' is missing

Any suggestions?

Edit1: tested some more and I get this error as well with a brand new 4.23p7 project. Reported @ Epic.





Just out of curiosity, did you make a proper bug report to both Epic and Oculus (using respective bug report forms) ?

MaxArch
Level 7
@motorsep I made a proper bug report to Epic. As soon as I get a mail with the issue number I will post here again.
I expect its an Unreal 4.23 bug. Also, I have no idea where to report to Oculus

motorsep
Level 8

MaxArch said:

Also, I have no idea where to report to Oculus



https://developer.oculus.com/bugs/

MaxArch
Level 7
@motorsep FYI; Epic couldn't reproduce the error. I Investigated some more. Turns out the crash is related to the GPU Lightmass plugin I use.
If the GPU lightmass code is in the UE directory, the build crashes the Quest. If the original UE code is pasted back into the UE dir again, the builds work fine.
So for now, you can use the GPU lightmass plugin in 4.23, only when you want to pack for Quest, you have to close UE, paste the original code back into the UE dir, start UE and make a build. When you need the plugin again, close UE, paste the GPUlightmass code into the UE dir etc.

I reached out to the new person who picked up that plugin after the original guy started to work for Epic.

motorsep
Level 8
@MaxArch

I guess since I never test my Go project launching it from the Editor, I've never experienced that bug (I always build apk and deploy it via adb).

MaxArch
Level 7
@motorsep Sometimes I launch from editor, sometimes I pack for Android ASTC and install from a powershell.
If the GPUlightmass code is in de UE folder, both builds crash the Quest.

motorsep
Level 8

MaxArch said:

@motorsep Sometimes I launch from editor, sometimes I pack for Android ASTC and install from a powershell.
If the GPUlightmass code is in de UE folder, both builds crash the Quest.


That's odd, because GPULightmass code is only in the Lightmass itself, which doesn't get packaged into builds. 

MaxArch
Level 7
@motorsep The 'new person' who makes the build now said the same. Still, if the GPUlightmass code is there, it somehow messes up the build (see a snippet from the crash below). If the code is not there - all works fine.
LogAndroid: Error: Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Private/ShaderCompiler/ShaderCompiler.cpp] [Line: 4241]
LogPlayLevel: Error: 08-27 08:32:07.647 9910 9926 D UE4 : [2019.08.27-06.32.07:647][ 0]LogAndroid: Error: The global shader cache file '../../../Engine/GlobalShaderCache-GLSL_ES3_1_ANDROID.bin' is missing.
LogPlayLevel: Error: 08-27 08:32:07.647 9910 9926 D UE4 : [2019.08.27-06.32.07:647][ 0]LogAndroid: Error:
LogPlayLevel: Error: 08-27 08:32:07.648 9910 9926 D UE4 : [2019.08.27-06.32.07:647][ 0]LogAndroid: Error: Your application is built to load COOKED content. No COOKED content was found; This usually means you did not cook content for this build.

DesertDuck
Level 2

Hi Max - where can I find the GPU lightmass code? I am experiencing the same issue. Thanks so much for the help so far