cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get basic project to work in UE4

Anonymous
Not applicable
I cannot get a simple Oculus project to work in UE4, and have no idea why. Here is what I'm doing:
  • I've downloaded and built from source the Oculus UE4 branch from Oculus' Github. I'm using 4.18.
  • I've created a simple, empty project.
  • I've created an app on my organisation developer page, and copied the app id.
  • I've also added my Oculus ID to the Team list, and I'm logged in with that user on the Oculus app.
  • I've added these lines to the DefaultEngine.ini (where MY_APP_ID is the app id from above)
[OnlineSubsystem]
DefaultPlatformService=Oculus

[OnlineSubsystemOculus]
bEnabled=true
RiftAppId=<MY_APP_ID>
  • I've enabled the Online Subsystem Oculus plugin and restarted the engine.
  • In the Level Blueprint, I've added this logic to check for entitlement:
83welcexsm9z.png
  • When I then hit to simulate in VR Preview, this is (part of) the output I get:
LogOnline: Display: Oculus: FOnlineSubsystemOculus::InitWithWindowsPlatform()
LogOnline: Warning: Oculus: Could not find 'RiftAppId' key in engine config.  Trying 'OculusAppId'.  Move your oculus app id to 'RiftAppId' to use in your rift app and make this warning go away.
LogOnline: Warning: Oculus: Missing OculusAppId key in OnlineSubsystemOculus of DefaultEngine.ini
LogOnline: Warning: Oculus: Oculus API failed to initialize!
LogOnline: Warning: Oculus: Oculus platform service not available. Skipping entitlement check.
LogBlueprintUserMessages: [TestLevel_C_0] Oculus Entitlement Failed

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong here. Can anyone help me?

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry for bumping, but I find it hard to believe there isn't an easy answer to this!
You can't release an Oculus app without it passing the entitlement step, and I can't find an example of someone actually doing it!
None of the examples on the Oculus Github seem to have this set up and working.
Is there anyone out there who has released an Oculus app built with UE4 that can explain how to get entitlement working?
Or perhaps one of the Oculus devs who could give an example?

mouse_bear
Retired Support
@localstarlight

Thanks for reaching out. After making any changes to the DefaultEngine.ini file and saving, close the UE4 editor completely and then relaunch the project for your ini changes to take effect.

I walked through your entire process by creating a UE4 project from scratch (though I am using 4.19.1).  I was running into the same issues you were having:

pgou7m8mgwjy.jpg
I then discovered that closing the editor and then relaunching after making ini changes allowed the entitlement check to pass when I run VR preview.

As such, I would double check that the DefaultEngine.ini saved correctly, that the RiftAppId is correct, and that you have relaunched UE4 after making these changes. I have posted a screenshot of my console log to show the expected result:

t7g1vq6b83o6.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey @NinjaGaijin,

Thanks for responding. I had to leave this for a while and work on some other stuff, but I'm having another look right now based on what you said.

Unfortunately, it's still not working after restarting the editor. The information is definitely there in the DefaultEngine.ini but I get these errors:

LogOnline: Display: Oculus: FOnlineSubsystemOculus::InitWithWindowsPlatform()
LogOnline: Warning: Oculus: Failed Oculus login. Not currently logged into Oculus.  Make sure Oculus is running and you are entitled to the app.
LogOnline: Error: Oculus: Failed the entitlement check: OVR6139226: Missing entitlement for <RiftAppIdHere> (1971031)
LogBlueprintUserMessages: [TestLevel_C_1] Oculus Entitlement Failed

The Oculus app is definitely open, and I am logged in as my admin account - so I should be entitled to the app, right? I can't see where I actually add specific users to a project, and can't find any help files that mention how to do that.

Is this something that only works with actual builds rather than just running in the Unreal Editor?

Still totally lost with this most basic of functions, so could use some help!

mouse_bear
Retired Support
@localstarlight

Welcome back! Let's try another thing - could you ensure that "Unknown Sources" is enabled within Oculus Home? Go to Settings (left navbar) -> General -> Unknown Sources. Make sure it's enabled, then restart your UE4 editor and try testing the entitlement process once more.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@NinjaGaijin

I didn't have Unknown Sources enabled, so I've enabled it but it hasn't made any difference unfortunately. Still getting the same errors as in my last message. Have tried shutting down and restarting everything after making that change, no difference.

I'm now getting a new error any time I open the Oculus app though, same thing these people are getting all of a sudden: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/65487/error-message-recordstore18-record-must-have-an-id

I don't know if that's related, because that wasn't happening when I was trying to make this work a few weeks ago, but I just thought I'd mention it.

mouse_bear
Retired Support
@localstarlight

Thanks for giving that a shot. Would it be possible for you to try updating to the latest version of the Oculus distro for UE4.19? There have been many fixes in the latest version, and I'd like to rule out any possible bugs present in 4.18 that were fixed in 4.19. Afterwards, if the issue persists we'll dive even deeper.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@NinjaGaijin

OK, I downloaded and built from source UE4.19 from the Oculus repo, created a new project, added the RiftAppId etc. to the DefaultEngine.ini and restarted the project, built a similar setup in the Level Blueprint to verify entitlement, opened up the Oculus app and ensured that I'm logged in as the admin for my development team, and started a VR preview in editor, and I'm still getting these lines:

LogOnline: Warning: Oculus: Failed Oculus login. Not currently logged into Oculus.  Make sure Oculus is running and you are entitled to the app.
LogOnline: Error: Oculus: Failed the entitlement check: OVR6139226: Missing entitlement for <RiftAppId> (1971031)

So it still doesn't recognise that the Oculus app is running and I'm logged in, and so doesn't pass the entitlment check.

mouse_bear
Retired Support
@localstarlight

Thanks for persisting through this issue. Could you message me directly with the name of your organization and app? We can continue off the boards from here on out.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@NinjaGaijin sent you a personal message, thanks!