cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling Subpasses for Tone Mapping

Curious-Company
Honored Guest

Hello everyone,

im trying to get Vulkan Subpasses for Tone Mapping to work on Quest 2 as described here:

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/unreal/unreal-tonemapping

The article makes it look like it's as simple as setting "r.Mobile.TonemapSubpass=1" and then adjust in a Post-Process volume but for me nothing is happening in fact the console even shows "unknown command" when the above is executed.

I did stumble across the "Rendering Techniques" sample that states that the patch in the subfolder needs to be applied to the unreal source code in order for LUTs to work.

UnrealEngine/Samples/Oculus/RenderingTechniques at oculus-5.0 · Oculus-VR/UnrealEngine (github.com)

Now this seems promising but comes with its own set of questions/problems. First of all the text indicates that it's only for LUTs and not other things like Color tint or vignettes so it might not be related to my problem and also the patch doesn't work completely for me some fixes went through but most error out. The filename "UE4_24" might indicate that it was originally written for 4.24 and does not work on newer versions?

So basically i wonder if someone can clarify how to get subpasses to work, perhaps some other requirements or if the patch is the right course of action and if so what the best way to apply it is?

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers

Dennis

Specs:

Windows with UE 5.0.2 source build from oculus branch

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pro_zac
Heroic Explorer

Tonemap subpass has not been ported to UE5 yet. The shader compiler is different in UE5, so it's more complicated than just copying over from 4.27. Expect this will be available in the near future. (It's actively being worked on.)

The "Rendering Techniques" sample is an older and less efficient way of implementing LUTs. The patch for it won't work with UE5. 

So, the current options are use the 4.27 fork or wait for the feature to be ported to UE5. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pro_zac
Heroic Explorer

Tonemap subpass has not been ported to UE5 yet. The shader compiler is different in UE5, so it's more complicated than just copying over from 4.27. Expect this will be available in the near future. (It's actively being worked on.)

The "Rendering Techniques" sample is an older and less efficient way of implementing LUTs. The patch for it won't work with UE5. 

So, the current options are use the 4.27 fork or wait for the feature to be ported to UE5. 

Hey thanks for the info i was afraid it would be something like that.

Thanks for taking the time, you saved me a ton of investigating! Much appreciated!