cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent crash when exiting Unreal Play-In-Editor with Oculus Rift connected

kmack
Explorer

I'm experiencing a frequent crash shortly after I exit PIE:

1. Fatal error: [File:D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 345] SwapChain->ResizeBuffers(1,SizeX,SizeY,RenderTargetFormat,DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_FLAG_ALLOW_MODE_SWITCH) failed at D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Viewport.cpp:235 with error DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL, Size=724x124 Format=DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM(0x00000018)

The crash appears to occur most frequently if I'm exiting a non-VR
PIE session, but have a Rift attached. Does not appear to occur if I
unplug the Rift.

Any thoughts on what's going on here & what to do?

Here's the full callstack:

• Fatal error: [File:D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 345] SwapChain->ResizeBuffers(1,SizeX,SizeY,RenderTargetFormat,DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_FLAG_ALLOW_MODE_SWITCH) failed at D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Viewport.cpp:235 with error DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL, Size=724x124 Format=DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM(0x00000018)
  • UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed()
  • UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!VerifyD3D11ResizeViewportResult()
  • UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11Viewport::Resize()
  • UE4Editor_D3D11RHI!FD3D11DynamicRHI::RHIResizeViewport()
  • UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!FSlateRHIRenderer::ConditionalResizeViewport()
  • UE4Editor_SlateRHIRenderer!FSlateRHIRenderer::DrawWindows_Private()
  • UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::PrivateDrawWindows()
  • UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::DrawWindows()
  • UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::TickApplication()
  • UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::Tick()
  • UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick()
  • UE4Editor!GuardedMain()
  • UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper()
  • UE4Editor!WinMain()
  • UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh()
  • kernel32
  • ntdll

• 5 REPLIES 5

cybereality
    Grand Champion
    I moved this thread to the developer forum.

kmack
    Explorer
    Update: I was able to verify that the problem does not appear to occur when using a Vive, so for the time-being, we're out of the woods since I can use the Vive for the client presentation, but if possible, I would like to have the option to put the Rift back into service when needed. I can see from forum activity elsewhere that other users appear to have encountered this issue as well. Is anybody aware of any solutions?

Thanks!

Neontop
    Heroic Explorer
    Hi @kmack
    I'm using the Oculus version of UE4 4.19.2 with Rift/Touch and I don't have that problem .

Sonorealm
    Honored Guest
    I'm having this issue or very similar too in at least UE 4.18-4.21.

With the Oculus plugin enabled, exiting PIE almost always crashes UE within a couple of seconds (both in viewport and VRpreview). However, occasionaly it doesn't and stays stable no matter how many times I start and stop PIE.

If I disable the Oculus plugin, this never happens.

In the log I find this: LogD3D11RHI: Error: SwapChain->ResizeBuffers(1, SizeX, SizeY, RenderTargetFormat, DXGI_SWAP_CHAIN_FLAG_ALLOW_MODE_SWITCH) failed
     at D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Windows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Viewport.cpp:257
     with error DXGI_ERROR_INVALID_CALL,
     Size=678x96 Format=DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM(0x00000018)

Disabling dx11 removes that line but doesn't fix the issue.

Sonorealm
    Honored Guest
    Hi @kmack,

in case you'd still be having this issue (or someone else runs into it), this solved it for me:

"The devs identified so far as entering in conflict with the game are ASUS Sonic Studio, MSI Afterburner and NAHIMIC. If any of these programs are present in your computer and running during your startup, please disabling it and initiating the game again."

Uninstalling Nahimic did the trick in my case.

cheers,
    Yoerik