cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No audio in Shipping build

Anonymous
Not applicable
In my Unreal project (4.18.3) the audio is working fine while playing in the editor, but doesn't work (it's completely silent) in a Shipping build.

If I use the Vive instead of the Rift with the exact same Shipping build the audio works fine, so it's definitely an issue with Oculus.

I have tried running the shipping build from my hard drive, but have also uploaded it to the Alpha Release Channel for my project and downloaded it and played it through the Oculus store with the same result.

The build is successful, but it does include these lines in the Output Log, which seem like they might be relevant:

[OVRPlugin][ERROR] ovr_GetAudioDeviceInGuidStr failed:
 [OVRPlugin][ERROR] Cannot get preferred VR audio IN device.[OVRPlugin][ERROR] ovr_GetAudioDeviceOutGuidStr failed:

Has anyone else experienced this, and knows how to fix it?
7 REPLIES 7

lucastakejame
Explorer
I'm having the same issue. Running oculus Validation script on the audio section returns that the audio always goes to windows default output.
Tried other builds with:
-Setting Audio Device to 'Headphones (Rift Audio)' (makes validation test fail saying it shouldn't play through oculus phones in the first time)
 -Audio spatialization plugin ( I know it shouldn't affect but I have no idea anymore)

Couldn't figure out how to fix yet, any news on that @imperativity?

lucastakejame
Explorer
@imperativity, audio in fact goes through defaultAudioDevice in both audio modes :/.

This is the test output:

OculusVRCValidator.exe" --path ".\WindowsNoEditor\ApocalypseRider.exe" --test TestAudioOutput
Starting TestAudioOutput
Disable audio mirroring
Setting audio mode to Windows
Waiting for the application to run for 5 seconds before testing begins...
Starting test...
Application played sound thru default audio device
Setting audio mode to Rift
Waiting for the application to run for 5 seconds before testing begins...
Starting test...
ERROR: Application should not have played sound thru defaultDevice
Cleaning up...
Test FAILED
Summary:
TestAudioOutput: Failed
Generated by OculusVRCValidator version 1.28.0.0

This is and output of packaging (With UE4) process that seemed related:

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   Execution of commandlet took:  47.29 seconds
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   OculusIAP: Warning: module shutdown
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   LogOnline: Display: Oculus: FOnlineSubsystemOculus::Shutdown()
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   [OVRPlugin][ERROR] ovr_GetAudioDeviceInGuidStr failed:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   [OVRPlugin][ERROR] Cannot get preferred VR audio IN device.[OVRPlugin][ERROR] ovr_GetAudioDeviceOutGuidStr failed:
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   [OVRPlugin][INFO] [CAPI] LibOVR module is located at C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\LibOVRRT64_1.dll[OVRPlugin][INFO] Connected to the server running version (prod = 1).1.28.0(build = 633101) feature version = 0. Client runs version (prod = 1).1.28.0(build = 0) feature version = 0[OVRPlugin][INFO] IA
D changed to 58.5mm
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)):   [OVRPlugin][ERROR] Cannot get preferred VR audio OUT device.

juanoldinho
Heroic Explorer
Hi @lucastakejame,

I believe you will need to leave the Audio Device field blank, in your UE Project settings. I attached an image of the settings I have used with an app that succesfully passed this test.

gyann0n4o1mj.png

lucastakejame
Explorer
@juanoldinho This is my current config, I just tried setting to  'Headphones (Rift Audio)' in that test.

lucastakejame
Explorer
[SOLVED] (with caveats): I checked my project settings and the option 'bStartInVR' was set to false. When I changed to true, oculus validation audio test worked, but the caveat is that this flag crashes UE4 on launch (at least on 4.18 which is the one I'm using). So its more of a UE4 problem but this should be noted anyway, thanks for the attention @juanoldinho  and @imperativity  !

lucastakejame
Explorer
I'm having the same issue. Running oculus Validation script on the audio section fails and returns that the audio always goes to windows default output.
Tried other builds with:
-Setting Audio Device to 'Headphones (Rift Audio)' (makes validation test fail saying it shouldn't play through oculus phones in the first time)
 -Audio spatialization plugin ( I know it shouldn't affect but I have no idea anymore)

lucastakejame
Explorer
I'm having the same issue. Running oculus Validation script on the audio section fails and returns that the audio always goes to windows default output.
Tried other builds with: