cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Device ID changing / not persistent

MartinHG
Honored Guest

We are using the 'Get Device ID' function in Unreal for our Oculus Quest 2 app as we are using the ID to identify headsets for authentication purposes.

We have been doing this for many months and the device ID has remained persistent during this time.

However recently after we updated our app, the device IDs changed for all devices. Previous versions of the app still displayed the previous device ID and it appears that it changes only for this new version. And note that if we uninstall the new version and re-install a previous version of the app - the device IDs revert back to the original ones.

The only real difference between the new version and previous versions of the app are:

• we updated the Android SDK
  • we signed the app with a key
  • there was a headset firmware update.

Note the version of Unreal hasn't changed.

We are trying to work out why the device ID has changed and what a possible solution might be.

Does anyone have any understanding as to why this may be occuring?

Or have thoughts on whether this is the right function to use to consistently identify a device over time.

1 REPLY 1

rlogan
Explorer

I believe I read that when an app is signed, that ID will change. I think is is consistent like you say. In other words it only changes between signed vs unsigned.